Looking for input on Stocking a 125 gallon mixed reef.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, I hope this is in the right place.

I am looking for some input on expanding onto what little I actually have in my tank. It is a 110 gallon tank with a 40 sump and a 20 gallon fuge (produces 2 gallon of cheato a month). All my parameters are exactly where they should be and I have finally gotten nitrates to 0 and holding 0 for a month now. The tank is right at a year old now, and only has a few inhabitants. I have a reef builder clean up crew, 2 clowns from my old 55 gallon (3+", female slightly larger), 2 engineer gobys (3-4"), 1 yellow tang (3"), mandarin goby (2"), pink spot goby (3"), diamond goby (2.5") and a 6 line wrasse (1.5"). Not to mention more pods then I know what to do with (mandarin is fat lol).

With the above mentioned, I am looking for ideas for some new tank mates. I could be wrong and the tank doesn't need anything else fish wise, but that's why I am looking for input. To me I would like to have some more active schooling fish if possible, but not a big cardinal fan.

The tank does have lps, some shrooms, and buttons throughout it.

Any input or thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two main fish school, for safety and feeding. But look into Anthias they do stick together and reef safe.

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two main fish school, for safety and feeding. But look into Anthias they do stick together and reef safe.

Well the clowns school and are mated, but the engineers occupy opposite sides of the tank. Not sure why, but thats how they roll lol. The clowns also dont stray to far from my carpet anemone. So the activity and movement is what I am looking for. I will look into Anthias also. But dont they have to be fed 4-5 times per day?

Edit: Will the pods support them outside of my normal twice a day buffet?

Last edited:

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could always add a feeder for anthias, most won't take pellets right away, but will learn.

As they mature engineer gobies stop schooling and form prs to burrow.

Fusilier damsels are an open water shoaling fish and Chrysiptera damsels aggregate in the rockwork.

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well the clowns school and are mated, but the engineers occupy opposite sides of the tank. Not sure why, but thats how they roll lol. The clowns also dont stray to far from my carpet anemone. So the activity and movement is what I am looking for. I will look into Anthias also. But dont they have to be fed 4-5 times per day?

Edit: Will the pods support them outside of my normal twice a day buffet?
Hi! I vote for a fairy or flasher Wrasse...for both beauty and very active....I am partial to the Scotts or Solar.....

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! I vote for a fairy or flasher Wrasse...for both beauty and very active....I am partial to the Scotts or Solar.....

Well to update this. I was feeding the clowns and for no reason they decided the tang was not a friend anymore. He was on the opposite side of the tank and all of a sudden they went after it and about tore it to pieces. There was no food on that side and the swam 5 feet across the tank to get it. Not sure why, but looks like I may not add anything at this point and just focus on more corals. The top fin is half gone as I couldn’t get the top up quick enough. They then began biting me, which I am used to lol. Hopefully he will make it in my QT tank and I can rehome him. After this though not sure if adding some other fish would be wise. Just weird as it was in the tank well before the clowns were.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off thanks everyone for the input. I think after what just happened, I am going to think about this for a while. The input I received from another post was very helpful and processing all of it will take a bit. The input here was very helpful also. Again, thanks everyone.

Mr. Limpid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of clowns are these? This the second thread that clam there clown has killed (killer clowns the sequel). I have a mated pair of Ocellaris Clownfish, and the only time they are mean is when they are nesting.

Hal3134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you have lots of pods with a mandarin and a sixline? My sixline was a pod eating machine. I never had a mandarin because of the sixline.

ArowanaLover1902

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Barnacle blenny colony. Small bioload, active, an easy favorite, feeding them is awesome

OP
OP
Eagle_Steve

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you have lots of pods with a mandarin and a sixline? My sixline was a pod eating machine. I never had a mandarin because of the sixline.
My fuge is a breeding machine for pods and cheato. I feed my goats 2 gallons a month of cheato lol. The pods from the original tennis ball sized cheato I started with have kept going. I also add plankton to the fuge once a week. So I am sure that helps also. It’s funny at night though. You can see pods come out of the return heads lol. Some make it to the rocks to be eaten by the mandarin, others the 6 line eats before they get there.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 53 73.6%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 11.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back