Looking for LED light

Nathan2585

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for some LED lights for my 55 gal tank. I am about to start it up and plan on having coral and fish in it! My old setup had a metal halide light that got extremely hot so I'm trying to go with something cooler. Looking for something used and not too expensive! Thanks!

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for some LED lights for my 55 gal tank. I am about to start it up and plan on having coral and fish in it! My old setup had a metal halide light that got extremely hot so I'm trying to go with something cooler. Looking for something used and not too expensive! Thanks!

What wattage of MH and what Type?

Not Too Expensive...Most Expensive LED Options are less expensive than MH especially with a chiller or air conditioner in the mid term 3-5 years.

Like buying a car you can be temporally satisfied with an EBay disposable aka YUGO...Just a little more than your MH bulb at half the watts.

Just beware of the 1972 Pinto that can catch fire...

Very open question.

Cheers

Bill

OP
OP
N

Nathan2585

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My metal halide is 250 watt but its just the bulb with a reflective shield. I don't even think its made for a tank. It looks more like the shop light style. It just has an exposed bulb and a reflective top.... I had this tank setup a few years ago before I joined the military and remember the light was burning the corals and getting really hot. Now I am setting up the tank again and want to do it right

ReefLEDLights

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My metal halide is 250 watt but its just the bulb with a reflective shield. I don't even think its made for a tank. It looks more like the shop light style. It just has an exposed bulb and a reflective top.... I had this tank setup a few years ago before I joined the military and remember the light was burning the corals and getting really hot. Now I am setting up the tank again and want to do it right

Normally I dont post links to the research on our website but this might help LED MY TANK

There is a lot to Reef Keeping

Water
Flow
Skimming
Live Rock
Lights
More

Photoinhibition or burning corals starts at 300-500PAR

The Natural Shallow Reef has over 2000 PAR...Aclimmation

Like a painting there are thousands of ways to try to represent a smile but most with enough study and practice do it well.

Cheers on the Military...Plan for the 90+ day deployment, my reef suffered till I got out.

KC135AR2_zps78d51dd7.jpg

Back in the day

Cheers

Bill

Last edited:
Back