Looking for more reefers in NC!

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I moved to Western North Carolina near Asheville, NC and we do not have a reef club anywhere near that I am aware of. The only LFS recently went out of business as well. Does anyone know of any groups/clubs anywhere near this area? My closest LFS is 2 hours away at the moment.

Thanks!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I moved to Western North Carolina near Asheville, NC and we do not have a reef club anywhere near that I am aware of. The only LFS recently went out of business as well. Does anyone know of any groups/clubs anywhere near this area? My closest LFS is 2 hours away at the moment.

Thanks!

Yeah,
Kinda looks bleak.

Looks like the "North Carolina Reefing Group" still has some action.

fishkeepinginasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Thanks!
I've been in Asia for four years now, but I'm from Old Fort. There used to be a great place called Mountains to Sea in the fancy side of town around Biltmore. She had great fish and corals. Really knowledgeable lady. I am not sure if she's still in business these days. There's one more, but I can't remember the name. They don't keep hardly anything in stock. They really only order stuff in so it's not good for browsing, but they can get anything you want and they're really good quality. In Hickory, there's a place called the China House. They've gone downhill in recent years, but still, it's something. The owner is a great guy, but he's gotten so old, he doesn't do much day to day stuff any more.

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah man, its rough over here in western NC. Lots and lots of driving if you are wanting to go to the lfs. Not sure if knoxville may be closer than Charlotte to you, but there are some nice ones over there!
Right now i go to Jefferson City and they have a really nice LFS, but it's 2 hours drive through the mountains! lol One of those things i didn't research well when we retired here from military to look up LFS's and clubs! lol

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Thanks!
Two “decent” LFS in Greenville BTW!only 45 min away. Sucks HT closed. I am in S Asheville if you ever want to trade frags. I would love it I throw stuff away because there is no one around. I have some stuff ready to cut holla at yer boy. I would be down for a club here, Charlotte is too far away to join. Here is the tank

E4199511-E748-44B9-B114-03B02F7C684A.jpeg 1AC61E5A-03EA-476D-8F25-C4EF9C456FD8.jpeg

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two “decent” LFS in Greenville BTW!only 45 min away. Sucks HT closed. I am in S Asheville if you ever want to trade frags. I would love it I throw stuff away because there is no one around. I have some stuff ready to cut holla at yer boy. I would be down for a club here, Charlotte is too far away to join. Here is the tank

E4199511-E748-44B9-B114-03B02F7C684A.jpeg 1AC61E5A-03EA-476D-8F25-C4EF9C456FD8.jpeg
Thanks man! NICE TANK! that is exactly what i want mine to look like. I have build thread on here...pretty old...need to update it. I have been ordering from Jefferson City LFS. I will have to look into going down to greenville. I'm north side of asheville at Mars Hill. Will send you a pm with my number so we can talk about me buying some frags from you when you have some you can cut or want to get rid of. My tank is only about 3 months right now. Ill post some pics on here tonight

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks man! NICE TANK! that is exactly what i want mine to look like. I have build thread on here...pretty old...need to update it. I have been ordering from Jefferson City LFS. I will have to look into going down to greenville. I'm north side of asheville at Mars Hill. Will send you a pm with my number so we can talk about me buying some frags from you when you have some you can cut or want to get rid of. My tank is only about 3 months right now. Ill post some pics on here tonight

Reefrookie,
If you're in the market for fish, then call Ray at TSM Aquatics. He does a full qty and will not let a fish go unless it meets his high standards.

Reefwise in Chicago is great too, but Brian stopped his online sales about 2 years back.

Waynerock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet man look up reef gurus and Oceans Floor in Greenville. Reef gurus is new and very nice where oceans floor has fresh and saltwater stuff and a bunch of dry goods. And I don’t really sell stuff just let me know and I’ll make it happen

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet man look up reef gurus and Oceans Floor in Greenville. Reef gurus is new and very nice where oceans floor has fresh and saltwater stuff and a bunch of dry goods. And I don’t really sell stuff just let me know and I’ll make it happen
Thanks man!

OP
OP
Reefrookie733

Reefrookie733

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefrookie,
If you're in the market for fish, then call Ray at TSM Aquatics. He does a full qty and will not let a fish go unless it meets his high standards.

Reefwise in Chicago is great too, but Brian stopped his online sales about 2 years back.
The LFS in Jefferson city is not too bad and they ship overnight to me, but now I am about to the point i need to add a few more corals. I have about 6 fish in there at the moment and only 2 small corals!
Thank you

hannernanner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm starting a tank too, and finding the lack of LFS and clubs a shame! I'm closer to Brevard, so Greenville is probably where I'll be headed. Going down next weekend on a scouting mission. It looks like there are a few of us in this forum, I suppose we could always start our own club

Tempset

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

Thanks!
I know my response is a little slow compared to your posting date, but it took a google search to even find anything remotely close to your post.

i live about 45min from Ashville in Mooresboro (a much smaller town). We moved here from Houston, TX connected to a much larger group called marsh-reef.

the nearest fish store is in Shelby, NC which is about 20-30 minutes away from us.

mom currently building a 45corner tank & a smaller nanotank.

We should consider our own club, shrug.

Last edited:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back