Looking for movement in a seahorse tank

Kingy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, im looking for a few options on what to do with my soon to be seahorse tank, i currently have a cycled 70cm cube. Im taking things really slow ensuring water is perfectly stable for the ponies when they arrive in the near future.

Having such a tall tank has made me wonder that there wont be a lot of mid/high section movement, Ive set up a few plastic floating chains for the ponies but other than that it’s just empty space.

I currently have a yellow watchman goby which stays hidden in the live rock, 7 nassarius snails, 4 turbo snails and 2 dwarf red leg hermits.
Im hoping this weekend to get some Cardinals which may add a bit of movement but are there any other options that are obviously compatible with seahorses?

Any suggestions appreciated!

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guppies maybe? Although most of the commercial guppy strains nowadays don't tolerate the cooler temperatures that seahorses like.

The thing with seahorses is they really need tankmates that aren't going to provide much movement in terms of speed. They'll easily get outcompeted and it's not ideal...so chromis/anthias and other fish are out.

You could also try looking into pipefish. They provide movement, but it's more of a "graceful" movement similar to cardinalfish rather than the active movement you might find with chromis/anthias.

OP
OP
K

Kingy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guppies maybe? Although most of the commercial guppy strains nowadays don't tolerate the cooler temperatures that seahorses like.

The thing with seahorses is they really need tankmates that aren't going to provide much movement in terms of speed. They'll easily get outcompeted and it's not ideal...so chromis/anthias and other fish are out.

You could also try looking into pipefish. They provide movement, but it's more of a "graceful" movement similar to cardinalfish rather than the active movement you might find with chromis/anthias.

Pipefish is a good shout, I’ve personally never really found them that interesting to look at but if it populates the mid to high section of the tank then it could be a good idea to stock a few.

It just a shame to see so much space un-used 90% of the time.

Seabiscuit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few seahorses and a couple of diamond gobies. When I feed them I have to place some mysis far away from the seahorse for the gobies to eat first, otherwise they'll quickly swim right in the middle of the seahorses. I love my gobies, but I have to have extra patience during feeding time. Good luck choosing your future tankmates.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gorgonians if you maybe want just a sway up there. The polyps on some will give movement. Obviously this requires better lighting.

And will take awhile to grow up there unless you can source large colonies

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back