Looking for opinions on my aquascape!

VanJuarez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm setting up my first reef tank in a biocube 32 and am still working on the aquascape! I have changed it a couple times but here is what I have right now.

Reef tank aquascape 2.jpg

What does everyone think of this? What should I change? Will there be any issues with dead spots and such? Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thank you.

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I'm setting up my first reef tank in a biocube 32 and am still working on the aquascape! I have changed it a couple times but here is what I have right now.

Reef tank aquascape 2.jpg

What does everyone think of this? What should I change? Will there be any issues with dead spots and such? Any feedback would be much appreciated! Thank you.
Hm. My honest opinion is your original scape here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/just-getting-into-reefing.817716/post-8773939 looks wayyy better.

OP
OP
VanJuarez

VanJuarez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm. My honest opinion is your original scape here: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/just-getting-into-reefing.817716/post-8773939 looks wayyy better.
Yeah, I might go back to that one. Not really sure yet, kinda playing around with some different ideas and seeing what looks the best. Problem I had with that one was that in the back corners a bunch of detritus was accumulating. Still need to pick up my wavemaker so not sure if it would be able to get into those back corners or not

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2" from the glass for cleaning purposes and go taller

Azedenkae

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I might go back to that one. Not really sure yet, kinda playing around with some different ideas and seeing what looks the best. Problem I had with that one was that in the back corners a bunch of detritus was accumulating. Still need to pick up my wavemaker so not sure if it would be able to get into those back corners or not
Fair enough, I often forget to consider this because I run a high nutrient tank and there is always algae growing at the back of my tank anyways (which is generally not very visible). XD

But yeah nah, maybe a wavemaker would make your original scape more viable. Perhaps if you shift your rocks slightly forwards it might help with flow to the back?

OP
OP
VanJuarez

VanJuarez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough, I often forget to consider this because I run a high nutrient tank and there is always algae growing at the back of my tank anyways (which is generally not very visible). XD

But yeah nah, maybe a wavemaker would make your original scape more viable. Perhaps if you shift your rocks slightly forwards it might help with flow to the back?
Yeah I think I'm gonna try that, and moving the rocks away from the glass some as others have said. Will post pics when I'm done!

OP
OP
VanJuarez

VanJuarez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right, here is what I came up with.

Reef tank aquascape 3.jpg Reef tank aquascape 3 side 1.jpg Reef tank aquascape 3 side 2.jpg

So this scape is more like the original one but I tried to keep it more away from the sides and build it a little taller. Thoughts? Not really sure how much I like this one if I'm being honest.

Brittanyjo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful pink coralline algae where did you get it?

Have you seen some of the negative space aquascaping? I like your stacking, but if you made smaller rocks and glued them your fish would have more swimming space.

OP
OP
VanJuarez

VanJuarez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful pink coralline algae where did you get it?

Have you seen some of the negative space aquascaping? I like your stacking, but if you made smaller rocks and glued them your fish would have more swimming space.

I got all the rocks from a LFS, the red/pink ones are CaribSea Life Rock, you can actually get them online! No I have not seen the negative space aquascapes, I'm going to look some up now. Thanks

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I liked option 2 way more than option 3.... it's great that you backed off of the glass but it leaves no caves, bridges or little hidey spaces. I like to think of the aquascape like the opening of Hee-Haw.... lots of little doors and windows for residents to pop in and out to say Hi.

OP
OP
VanJuarez

VanJuarez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone for the comments. Just finished watching the negative space aquascape video, so I might try doing that or go back to option 2 as others have said. Gonna play around with it some more and see what I come up with

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always recommend taping the outline of the tank on the floor or garage floor. Painters plastic... ect. That way your not trying to move ur hands around in that confined space. Zip ties are good too in some places if needed.
D

OP
OP
VanJuarez

VanJuarez

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always recommend taping the outline of the tank on the floor or garage floor. Painters plastic... ect. That way your not trying to move ur hands around in that confined space. Zip ties are good too in some places if needed.
D
Do you think the bacteria on the rocks would be okay? I don't want to mess up the cycle by taking them out of the water for too long, ya know?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 42.1%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 32 33.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back