Looking for opinons and options for LED lights on tanks 48" and deeper tanks

Kingpin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Getting ready to set up a very deep tank and i'm looking for ideas the tank is 66x36x52 tall. It will be a mostly SPS tank.

Thanks for your help

dcsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was right where you are in the lighting area. There is a company called Reef Radiance. You can order online at reefradiance.com The owner of the company is an all around nice guy and has amazing prices. I have ordered from them and so have many people I have visited with on the forums. If you aren't sure what you want to get just shoot him an email at [email protected] and he will be happy to help. He designs them and then has them shipped to him from his manufacture in china. It takes anywhere from 1-3 weeks but is worth the wait for customer service, cost and a great product! Hope this helps!

OP
OP
K

Kingpin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size tank doyou have. Do you any of the specs on the light you got like degree of optics, color ,wattage of fixture, or how many fitures you put on your tank.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

dcsaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 55 gallon but I tried to get away with only one light and that didn't work out so I need to order another one. I was being cheap. They have bigger lights and such. Here is the link with all of the info on the light I got. DM-155e - Reef Radiance Great product but I need two for my tank. They have programable ones but I was lucky my wife let me get this lol. This is what the one looks like over my tank at 85% blue/violet and 50% white strength.
image-2.jpg

specialk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Went thru this same dilemma for my 72 long, 22 deep tank. After much digging and reading and asking I went with Ocean Revive S026. They are a sponsor on here (although I made my final decision by actually asking people on here and PM'ing them to get their thoughts) so you can look in their section to read up .. but from what I found, incredible price and incredible performance. I could not be happier .. my SPS's are growing INCREDIBLE too! Just my 2 shiny cents.

OP
OP
K

Kingpin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure your grasping that this is tank is 52" top to bottom and around 600 gallons

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much PAR do you want at 52" deep? What do you intend to keep that deep?

OP
OP
K

Kingpin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the par but this tank will be sps dominate

TrishW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure your grasping that this is tank is 52" top to bottom and around 600 gallons

LOl, that was my thought as I read the posts. I too ordered lights from Reef Radiance and I got great customer service buy my tank is only 29 inches deep. I have read a lot about LEDs in the past few months but don't recall any threads on tanks that are 50+ inches deep. I am curious though so I am tagging along.

bct15

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are either going to need some optics with smaller angles, or need mh. That is very deep. You are probably going to need 400w mh if you're trying on penetrate all the way to the bottom. I have not seen any tanks that deep with LEDs but maybe some nice custom units with ALOT of LEDS with very low optics will get down there, but you'll need a whole bunch of LEDs per heatsink and they will basically be spot lights.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your capable of a DIY, I'd be looking at 5-10w LEDs, or quite a few of the 50w spot LED programmable colored units. If not, then I agree with bct15, your going to need 400w Halides.

aslmx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ocean revives are nice. Just installed 2 on my tank

Last edited:

hcoop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This might be a little late but Orphek makes a light just for deep tanks. Orphek Atlantik. I saw them use a par meter on a tank and they got 156 par at 7 ft deep.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 23.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back