Looking for peaceful coral with small fish

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I have a 5g. I'm hoping to get some recommendations on beginner, slower growing, flowy, as peaceful as possible coral but most importantly they must be coral that won't grab my fish for food. My fish are tiny so am I looking for corals that are mostly photosynthetic to make sure my fish are safe? They're all gobies. I also have a few tiny blue legged hermits and a pom pom crab.

As mentioned I would love something that has flowy movement (not gsp or xenia) but it's not a must have. I would also like a bit of a mixed reef but I'm fine with sticking with one kind in different colours if it makes life easier. I have read so many descriptions of corals that now I'm just lost. I'm also thinking of sticking some rock on the sides of my tank so I can isolate corals if needed but it will also give me more real estate.

Thanks in advance.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with a nephthea coral. They look like Kenya Trees, but don't have their atrocious habit of shedding branches everywhere. They're also relatively slow-growing for this type of coral (they still grow pretty quickly for coral, though). Note that the link suggests that nepthea are green, but mine is purple, and there different colour types available.

While it's not exactly "flowy", I heartily recommend a frag of Grube's gorgonian. Gorgonians are great, and this one is the best-grower that I've seen, and the polyps are almost always extended.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd go with a nepthea coral. They look like Kenya Trees, but don't have their atrocious habit of shedding branches everywhere. They're also relatively slow-growing for this type of coral. Note that the link suggests that nepthea are green, but mine is purple, and there different colour types available.

While it's not exactly "flowy", but I heartily recommend a frag of Grube's gorgonian. Gorgonians are great, and this one is the best-grower that I've seen, and the polyps are almost always extended.
Awesome, thank you! I really need these recommendations because my head is spinning after reading so many different descriptions for the different types. I've fallen into a coral decision paralysis! Haha.

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When it's set up cr3wte a build thread id love to see it
I will for sure. The tank has been running for about four months and I've been slowly adding fish and inverts. I've been letting my parameters settle before adding corals. I've been taking pics and started writing my descriptions for my build thread. I just have to set about doing the thread. Haha.

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will for sure. The tank has been running for about four months and I've been slowly adding fish and inverts. I've been letting my parameters settle before adding corals. I've been taking pics and started writing my descriptions for my build thread. I just have to set about doing the thread. Haha.
Sneak peak pleaseeeee?

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them after I cycled and little guys were fine. My tanks only 10 months and I had it first month
Nice!! Thanks for this suggestion! The more coral options I have the better. :)

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for this! I don't think I looked at the acans yet. I thought they were for more experienced reefers. I will check them out.
I've found them to be easily stressed by cyano and algae. I'd avoid them if you have any issues with this at this stage of your build.

Take a look at Fragbox's selection of soft corals, as they always have an excellent selection on display. And don't discount xenias! Along with nephthea and Grube's gorgonian, it's one of those "leave it and forget about it" corals that are excellent when you want some quick cover for some bald spots, and don't seem to be terribly bothered by poor quality. It's something to think about in a pico build where salinity variation can irritate and kill more sensitive coral.

GHOSTLY

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found them to be easily stressed by cyano and algae. I'd avoid them if you have any issues with this at this stage of your build.

Take a look at Fragbox's selection of soft corals, as they always have an excellent selection on display. And don't discount xenias! Along with nephthea and Grube's gorgonian, it's one of those "leave it and forget about it" corals that are excellent when you want some quick cover for some bald spots, and don't seem to be terribly bothered by poor quality. It's something to think about in a pico build where salinity variation can irritate and kill more sensitive coral.
Agree with this but they do fine in the lower parts. Easy going id say

OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sneak peak pleaseeeee?
Here's a pic I just took. It's a rare moment to have my Hi Fin goby and my Clown goby out at the same time. My Pistol shrimp darted back into his burrow just as I took the pic. Don't mind the fake corals in there. I put them in to test placement and flow in my tank. My clown goby loves them so they'll stay until real coral gets added. Haha.

Attachments

• 20211102_001036_compress51.jpg
    20211102_001036_compress51.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 51
OP
OP
Karen00

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I'm very fortunate that the little bit of cyano I had came and went fairly quickly and so far I've had no other nasty algae/other outbreaks (probably just jinxed myself) but I totally agree that with such a small tank I can't do any super sensitive corals.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the aquascape! Add some gorgonian frags and (if you're feeling daring), some halimeda to the mix, and you'll get a "desert" tank.

A pistol shrimp would love that cave...

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... Not sure what or where you read, but I've never seen a coral eat a healthy fish, even small clown gobies.

Ok maybe an elegance, or a nem, but an actual coral, not really possible.

I would second the grube gorgonian too. Have one in my tank, it was actually my very fisrt coral some 20 years ago. It has been fragged many times, been through 2 tank crashes, and still continues to grow. Hardy little bugger, and the "canary in the coal mine" of my tank. When it's not out and happy, you can almost bet somethings not right in my tank.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm... Not sure what or where you read, but I've never seen a coral eat a healthy fish, even small clown gobies.

Ok maybe an elegance, or a nem, but an actual coral, not really possible.

I would second the grube gorgonian too. Have one in my tank, it was actually my very fisrt coral some 20 years ago. It has been fragged many times, been through 2 tank crashes, and still continues to grow. Hardy little bugger, and the "canary in the coal mine" of my tank. When it's not out and happy, you can almost bet somethings not right in my tank.

There's Elephant's Ear coral, although I can't imagine how you'd fit one of those into a pico build...

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 89 80.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back