Looking for Powerhead suggestions

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of planning a new aquarium. I am upgrading from a 20 gallon to a 4 ft 90 gallon. I will be keeping a mixed reef with SPS and LPS. But, I am not sure what powerheads to get and how to configure them.

I currently have a Nero 5 that I can move to that tank. I would like to spend under $500 on powerheads, but I wand really nice, wide, random flow.

I have been researching the Gyre pumps, but I know nothing about how well they work. I have seen some pairing them with other pumps, and some using them as stand alone.

I was thinking about picking up a Gyre pump (3000 GPH or higher) and maybe adding an additional Nero 5 (two total). Would this be adequate, and how would you suggest these be configured or placed in the tank?

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the process of planning a new aquarium. I am upgrading from a 20 gallon to a 4 ft 90 gallon. I will be keeping a mixed reef with SPS and LPS. But, I am not sure what powerheads to get and how to configure them.

I currently have a Nero 5 that I can move to that tank. I would like to spend under $500 on powerheads, but I wand really nice, wide, random flow.

I have been researching the Gyre pumps, but I know nothing about how well they work. I have seen some pairing them with other pumps, and some using them as stand alone.

I was thinking about picking up a Gyre pump (3000 GPH or higher) and maybe adding an additional Nero 5 (two total). Would this be adequate, and how would you suggest these be configured or placed in the tank?
I tried gyres twice and the flow is amazing but they don’t work for me. Two mp40’s would would well in your tank. Over budget though.

OP
OP
J

Jasontkd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the MP40’s but would like to spend less than that. I really like the Nero 5 I have now.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 Tunze 6095's would be my choice for $450.
2 jebao ow-25's would work and only set you back around $100.
Here is a pic of my ow-25's that are being cleaned and put away for backup. They ran for 10 months with no issues and push alot of water.
They are the equvilant to the Tunze 6095's.
20200515_183735.jpg

mistuhm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try the newer SOW models from Jebao. They have sin sync features so you can place them opposite sides of the tank and create a swing motion in your tank. Relatively cheap and quick shipping from Amazon as well.

fcmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say tunze because buying cheaper stuff might seem to work in the short term but end up being a pain down the road. As for mp40s that is expensive stuff that still has a good chance of being a pain down the road. Tunze is a brand that you can rely on.

When I tried to save money in this hobby all I ended up doing was spending more money. Now when I buy trusted stuff I don't buy anything anymore years and years later.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can try the newer SOW models from Jebao. They have sin sync features so you can place them opposite sides of the tank and create a swing motion in your tank. Relatively cheap and quick shipping from Amazon as well.
You can do the same with the ow's.
I would get the newer sow's as I forgot they were out their.

X-37B

Fight the Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say tunze because buying cheaper stuff might seem to work in the short term but end up being a pain down the road. As for mp40s that is expensive stuff that still has a good chance of being a pain down the road. Tunze is a brand that you can rely on.

When I tried to save money in this hobby all I ended up doing was spending more money. Now when I buy trusted stuff I don't buy anything anymore years and years later.
I agree as all my equipment is Tunze.
With that said I would have no issues running the newer jebaos.
IMO they are very good for the price.
You can get 8 ow's for the price of 2 6095's.
They will only get better as time goes on.
I run 2 new 6095's and 2-8 year old 6105's in my 120.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 Stream 3 by Tunze in my 210g 7ft tank and they work great. Not the easiest to place depending on look you want, but very powerful. Easy to clean too.
I had bad experience with gyre, but it was when they first came out. Maybe the are better now.
Also, Tunze Turbelle are great. Mine lasted over 10 years.

Eye H8 Empty V

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m building the same exact setup as you with the same mixed reef goal. I’ve been researching and planning for over a year now and finally made a decision and spend some coin. I purchased 2 XF350 Gyres and an Octo Pulse 4. Each powerhead is the pump only. Power and control will come from a CoralVue Hydros Wave Engine. Only 1 power supply and controller for all 3 powerheads running off 1 app. It’ll also control my Reef Octopus Varios6 return pump. I’m going to try having it control my dimmable T5 fixture as well.

EDIT: The Octo Pulse 4 will be placed in back corner of the tank for creating flow along the back wall.

sam2110

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maxspect jump gyre is brilliant and very good price with 2 years warranty.

I run the smaller one in a 40g and I only have it on 60% otherwise it kicks up the sand and blows corals over, it's that powerful. The bigger version I think it's the jump gyre MJGF4K would be more than capable in a 90 gallon, for your $500 you could buy 2 and still have change.

Tampaman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new Icecap 4k gyres have incredible flow and are dead silent. Its basically the latest version of the Maxspect ones.
The 2 pump pkg with dual controller is $400
I have a 6' 150 and with softies, lps, and sps, run about 60%

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two 1" Sea Swirls they can be found on the used section for cheap sometimes. I would also get some Tunze 6095 or 6055's wait until the Black Friday sale and save even more.
OH yeah, these pumps are on budget as well.

Z-man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used 3 - 1/2" sea swirls on a 6 ft long 125 gallon. They don't pump the return water, but oscillate in 90 degree arcs which are adjustable. The return pump has to be strong enough to get the desired flow. I used the 1/2" to get more pressure.

Back