Looking for recommendations on hybrid lighting

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of bulbs do you run with the T5? I was thinking 2 blue plus and 2 atinic bulbs.

I think I’m going to buy the 48” fixture since it’s only like $40 more than the 36” one.
Another thing I forgot to mention to you about the wiring on the Aquatic Life, I actually wired both ballasts to one cord instead of having two cords from opposite ends of the fixture. it makes for a super clean install. if you look at my build thread you can see I have no wires hanging and I love the look. I think it was Mc crabs that has a nice write up on it. its not hard to do at all, I will look to see if I can find a link for the parts that you would need from home depot. I think I have like $15 into the modification.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bulb life is reduced unless you take the time to "burn" the bulbs at 100% for 50+ hours.
Most people do not.
Also, the dimmable fixtures have their issues vs non dimmable.

Im unbiased as i have a dimmable powermodule :)
I guess presenting it the way you did made it seem like the dimmable fixtures are flawed when in actuality it's user error. I am surprised it ever happens at all anymore as most people extensively research equipment on places like R2R and elsewhere before buying and the seasoning topic is prevalent. Reading the instructions never hurts either. I didn't buy mine for the dimming really. I bought it for the single cord, controller, and quiet thermostatically controlled fans.

I wish mine were a Powermodule. I have been eyeing them but can't really justify switching out my Sunpower it works so well. Bolting on a couple of LED bars is always an option. I have a few BMLs and Reefbrites lying around, they are just the wrong size unfortunately.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Aquatic Life DM18 61 in fixture on my 225 gal tank. Unless you want to spend a small fortune on Led's, it's the way to go. Dimmable or not was easy for me as they don't make a 61 in dimmable fixture, but with the DM18 model being a true 2 stage T5, I just stage the outside and inside bulbs on at different times.

20210509_151328.jpg

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Aquatic Life DM18 61 in fixture on my 225 gal tank. Unless you want to spend a small fortune on Led's, it's the way to go. Dimmable or not was easy for me as they don't make a 61 in dimmable fixture, but with the DM18 model being a true 2 stage T5, I just stage the outside and inside bulbs on at different times.

20210509_151328.jpg
Good to know! I ordered the 48” fixture today (got 10% off too, thanks to aquashella) so right around $300 for the unit and bought 2 coral plus bulbs and 2 blue plus bulbs.

Can’t wait to get it and set it up!

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! I ordered the 48” fixture today (got 10% off too, thanks to aquashella) so right around $300 for the unit and bought 2 coral plus bulbs and 2 blue plus bulbs.

Can’t wait to get it and set it up!
I use 2 Blue+, 1 Coral+, and 1 Purple+. I also have some Actinics just in case. ;)

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

So I got my fixture in and all installed. I have 2 issues.

One is that I get a little orange light on one of the bulbs on the back 2 bulb part and the lights don’t turn on.

Second issue, I have the ai primes with the hanging kits already installed, but how tf do you install them to the fixture? I’d assume with the brackets but how?

Any help on this would be appreciated! thanks

Back