Looking for recommendations on hybrid lighting

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 80 gallon lagoon tank which currently has 2 ai primes on it. I am looking to upgrade to hybrid lighting with ai primes in the middle. I have an extra ai prime laying around so I will use that in the fixture as well for a total of 3. I know I want the aquatic life hybrid fixture, but unsure of what to get.

Do I go with a 36 or 48” light fixture?

Do I want to buy the dimmable model or just go with the cheaper option?

Or would you suggest something else all
together where I can still use my 3 ai primes.

Thanks!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id go for non dimmable.
Also, id shoot for whatever length is a shy shorter than your tank so you can have some choices as far as coral placement goes.
Same goes front to back. No need for edge to edge lighting.

Goodluck!

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id go for non dimmable.
Also, id shoot for whatever length is a shy shorter than your tank so you can have some choices as far as coral placement goes.
Same goes front to back. No need for edge to edge lighting.

Goodluck!
Why would you go non Dimmable? Just curious and they only come in 24, 36 or 48” long and my tank edge to edge is 48. If I did the 36” one I’d have 6” on each side not covered with light.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why would you go non Dimmable? Just curious and they only come in 24, 36 or 48” long and my tank edge to edge is 48. If I did the 36” one I’d have 6” on each side not covered with light.
You really dont need to dim the t5s to be honest.
And dimming does shorten the life of the bulbs.
It being a hybrid, you can use your Ai lights for sunrise and sunset/moonlight.

Your light spill will reach both sides of the tank with a 36" fixture you just need to raise it to the proper height.

Unless youre going heavy sps wall to wall, you dont NEED a 48" fixture.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would run the 48" fixtures and the Non-Dimmable version. I don't see the benefit of dimming especially since you are going to be running the 3 prime HDs, you can use those to ramp up the lighting as needed.
the reason I say go with the 48 is with the 36 you can raise the light to get the spill that you need to reach the edges of the tank, but if you have to lower the light you will lose coverage.

I bought the 48" because the 36 was out of stock and I was really wanting to spend some money, but at the end of the day it was the better choice because I ended up having to move my lights down to 8" from the tank and I have just enough coverage for my coral in the tank. I thought I was ok at a higher light height but a par meter was the deciding factor (well worth the rental IMO).
Trust me the 48" is going to work out better for you,

Barnabie

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that there's not much need for a dimmable T5 in a hybrid fixture. That's what the LEDs are for.

I would probably get the 4' fixture, but a 3' one would be fine too. Can't really go wrong there.

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome advice. Thank you. I will look right now to see if the 36 or 48” non dimmable light fixture is in stock. I’ve never had dimmable a t5s so was more curious about that than anything else. Can’t always have enough light!
Thank you!

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of bulbs do you run with the T5? I was thinking 2 blue plus and 2 atinic bulbs.

I think I’m going to buy the 48” fixture since it’s only like $40 more than the 36” one.

lilithereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i was going to say if you didn't have leds yet and you are on a budget nicrew hyper reef led are great cheap reef lights. i have a pair myself and they work amazing for the price.

Barnabie Mejia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of bulbs do you run with the T5? I was thinking 2 blue plus and 2 atinic bulbs.

I think I’m going to buy the 48” fixture since it’s only like $40 more than the 36” one.
I am running all Blue+ at the moment. I like them and the tank seems to like them as well. If you go this route, and you feel that the tank is too blue, you can use the Primes to throw a little white in there.
I don't feel like there is too much blue in it, and on my light settings on the LEDs I don't even have the white channel on at all. This next go round I might throw in 1 actinic bulb to see if it gives me the darker blue that I am looking for, but I am really on the fence about it because everything is working well in the tank and I don't want to disrupt it. I just want it to start really growing out.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I run T5 only. At the moment, I run a 4:2 mix of blue+ and coral+. I've run different combos of ATI and Giesemann, and really I've never been disappointed. I think as long as you go with those 2 quality brands, it's just color preference.

In a 4 bulb hybrid, I would run some combo of B+ and C+ and adjust the color and get actinic out of the LEDs, but it's up to you. You might buy 2-3 of each and swap out to get the look you want. You'll use them all eventually anyway.

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run T5 only. At the moment, I run a 4:2 mix of blue+ and coral+. I've run different combos of ATI and Giesemann, and really I've never been disappointed. I think as long as you go with those 2 quality brands, it's just color preference.

In a 4 bulb hybrid, I would run some combo of B+ and C+ and adjust the color and get actinic out of the LEDs, but it's up to you. You might buy 2-3 of each and swap out to get the look you want. You'll use them all eventually anyway.
Okay, thank you! Ya I have experience with ATI bulbs so I’m going to stick with them.
I looked at the coral plus blurbs too. I honestly don’t think you can go wrong especially since I have the LEDs to compensate for the bulbs color.

Midrats

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimming T5 bulbs doesn't shorten their lifespan. I'm not sure why that ancient rumor is still circulating. You don't really need it but it's fun to have. I'd just dim the leds if you want a dimming effect and save yourself a little cash.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may want to look at the OR3 light bars. I am an T5 guy from way back, they just plain work.
I am running 1 OR3 blue plus on my 120.
I will not go back to T5's.
This light replaces 2 T5's.
I am looking to get 1 more for my 120 and 2 for my 45 frag system.
I would get the full lenght bar for your 80 and run then a minimim of 12" off the surface.
I use these for dawn dusk and to add that extra blue look when my halides are off.
I now run them for 9 hours and the halides for 8.
These units are one of the best led's out their, imo.
They make a blue sky also for even more, pop, as they say.
Friends that run Radions have switched to all OR3 light bars and are not going back.
I bought a couple of their used radions for a future build and have sold them already and am going the OR3 route instead.
I am also a halide guy but would have no problem running these only on any future tank build.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dimming T5 bulbs doesn't shorten their lifespan. I'm not sure why that ancient rumor is still circulating. You don't really need it but it's fun to have. I'd just dim the leds if you want a dimming effect and save yourself a little cash.
The bulb life is reduced unless you take the time to "burn" the bulbs at 100% for 50+ hours.
Most people do not.
Also, the dimmable fixtures have their issues vs non dimmable.

Im unbiased as i have a dimmable powermodule :)

Brody’s Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an 80 gallon with a non-dimmable 48” t5 hybrid with 2 Red Sea ReefLed fixtures. I would recommend the 48” and use your ai primes. I was able to grow basically any coral under that lighting. Here is a picture to show what I had.
58F6AE84-713B-4F1A-A547-309D3CB1DCBB.jpeg

OP
OP
biggie4jets

biggie4jets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an 80 gallon with a non-dimmable 48” t5 hybrid with 2 Red Sea ReefLed fixtures. I would recommend the 48” and use your ai primes. I was able to grow basically any coral under that lighting. Here is a picture to show what I had.
58F6AE84-713B-4F1A-A547-309D3CB1DCBB.jpeg
Love that! nice job! This is my first tank where its not an AIO so taking my time and learning a lot about all different facets this time around. What bulbs were you running?

Here is a picture of my tank back in March.

tempImageKo9YXz.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 18.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back