Looking for recommendations on new Powerheads..

What powerhead choice would you make?

• 4x Octo Pulse 2's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 4x Octo Pulse 4's

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • 4x AI Nero 5 Wave

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 4x Neptune WAV

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Other.. list in comments.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • 4x Octo Pulse 2 plus wave engine (expensive)

• 4x Octo Pulse 4 plus wave engine (more expensive)

• Cut out walls and insert MP40's (hidden so won't see it anyways) (even more expensive)

Votes: 6 60.0%

• Total voters

tech4x4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys wanting to revamp the flow in my tank.. was a mix of different powerheads looking for recommendations. Tank is a mixed reef approx 27 tall x 48 wide x 30 deep
Was thinking either WAV, Octo Pulse, or Nero 5's... I'm thinking 4 powerheads 1 by each corner. I do like the MP's but not enough clearance on the sides of the tank to fit the dryside. I like the look of the pulse but would I need Pulse 2 or 4 and a hydros I'm guessing since I've heard the controller is crap. I am running an Apex so the WAV pumps are an option but don't like the look compared to the other 2.. WWYD??

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys wanting to revamp the flow in my tank.. was a mix of different powerheads looking for recommendations. Tank is a mixed reef approx 27 tall x 48 wide x 30 deep
Was thinking either WAV, Octo Pulse, or Nero 5's... I'm thinking 4 powerheads 1 by each corner. I do like the MP's but not enough clearance on the sides of the tank to fit the dryside. I like the look of the pulse but would I need Pulse 2 or 4 and a hydros I'm guessing since I've heard the controller is crap. I am running an Apex so the WAV pumps are an option but don't like the look compared to the other 2.. WWYD??
Have you considered IceCap 4k Gyres?

I added two to my pump configuration (w/1 controller that I think can attach to Apex) and have been very pleased. They are even easier to clean than the BRS video indicated.

Perhaps this link will have other suggestions for you:

OP
OP
tech4x4

tech4x4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input so far.. The next question would be do I just do 2 on each of the short sides or 1 on each side and 2 on back?

twwety

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 gyre style pump and 2 Nero 5s to target any dead spots. Or with your tank being so deep back to front do 2 gyre pumps one towards the front and one towards that back on opposite sides that would create some interesting flow.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics of the tank will help as coral placement, type, and your aquascape will determine what flow is needed

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Given just the dimensions and gessing the scape would be in the middle, i would say 2 on each short wall, one front one back then you can have dual opposing flows. Should hit everything in there. And, if you have a return pump you can use that to hit any dead spots

Sam816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i voted for hidden mp40s but gyres+ neros are also a good idea. if aesthetics matter more than anything then mp40s have no competition. I've had good success with jebao gyre style wavemeakers in the past. i moved to maxspect gyres as jebao ones were not controllable via app.

OP
OP
tech4x4

tech4x4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6DFEAD6B-7C8E-4418-98CF-CB8FD22B85DA.jpeg
Here’s a pic bad reflections when I took this today. Still trimming it out.. and considering filling in the center with a bit more rock. basically large void in the center and the rockwork is built in the rear 1/2 of the tank about 4-6 inches off the back wall..

OP
OP
tech4x4

tech4x4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also if the consensus is a gyre for the sides I have full access behind the tank to mount anything on the back glass.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back