Looking for schooling/shoaling fish, any suggestions ?

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the title suggests. I’m new to the hobby and I am looking for a good group to add to my display. Looking for suggestions and experience with shoaling/schooling fish that would do well as a group of 7 or so.

ScottieB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't be too hard to find something, I've got got an easy recommendation and some outside the box. May depend on your setup, tank size, tank cover, etc. But here's some examples, prob more shoaling then schooling but certainly interacting with each other:

Anthias (My fav - Lyretail, 1 male, 4-6 females)
Group of Gudgeons (hang out at the top of the water column)
Cardinals
Even a big group of Skunk Clowns (Melevs reef has a group in his 400, they are always interacting with each other)
Reef Chromis (prob too mean though)

If I think of more I'll let you know.

Sdot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in your position a few months ago.....i purchased 2 male Randall's Anthias....and several weeks later i bought 4 females....guess what....very rarely do they ever school. This is my experience anyway, the only fish that has ever schooled in any tank i had, were blue/green Chromis....they always die off one by one however...

Chef Mateo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In saltwater aquariums fish rarely school as you generally won't have predators with your peaceful schoolers. As in the wild they mostly school for their protection. So it's very unlikely to get fish that will legitimately school unless you have a monster tank with 10+ fish schooling together. :(

OP
OP
Regular_Reefer

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't be too hard to find something, I've got got an easy recommendation and some outside the box. May depend on your setup, tank size, tank cover, etc. But here's some examples, prob more shoaling then schooling but certainly interacting with each other:

Anthias (My fav - Lyretail, 1 male, 4-6 females)
Group of Gudgeons (hang out at the top of the water column)
Cardinals
Even a big group of Skunk Clowns (Melevs reef has a group in his 400, they are always interacting with each other)
Reef Chromis (prob too mean though)

If I think of more I'll let you know.
60g display, no cover

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe you should just reconsider the need or desire for schooling fish in an aquarium. ;Hurting

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 7 cocoa damsels together in a 45, rimless with no lid. They hang out in a little group and school really well especially during feeding time. I did catch them myself in Florida though, and they were a group when I caught them which might make a difference.

OP
OP
Regular_Reefer

Regular_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got 7 cocoa damsels together in a 45, rimless with no lid. They hang out in a little group and school really well especially during feeding time. I did catch them myself in Florida though, and they were a group when I caught them which might make a difference.
That’s awesome. I’m in the desert so not much chance of me getting that kind of experience. I like the idea of shoaling fish but it just seems like most of the ones I’ve looked at have a higher chance of killing each other off. I was thinking maybe like three scissor tail dart fish...but who knows

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s awesome. I’m in the desert so not much chance of me getting that kind of experience. I like the idea of shoaling fish but it just seems like most of the ones I’ve looked at have a higher chance of killing each other off. I was thinking maybe like three scissor tail dart fish...but who knows
I’d say go to your LFS and check out the fish that are schooling together in the tanks. Then do a little research about their needs and max size and decide wether or not they’re right for you. That’s usually what I do. Write down all the names of the fish I liked in the store, research each, then go back and buy the one(s) that I feel are a good fit for me and my tank.

killergoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of anthias but they really need frequent feedings (every couple hours in my opinion) so not a great idea for someone new to the hobby. Chromis look nice and will school together... until you end up with just one a year or two down the line. Cardinals would work well but they don't swim the same way in the current as chromis/anthias do (if that's what you're looking for).
If you're just looking for a group of fish swimming in the current together, it might be a good idea to try allospecifics instead of conspecifics in a tank that size. In one of my first tanks I had one of a bunch of different species (and a pair of clowns) and they would all swim in the current together. Wrasses, blennies, etc can make a nice group which will occasionally swim together in the current.

Haydn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can see beyond blue/green Chromis there are number in the Chromis family that you can group- Vandervelts, retrofaciatus, Agilis, Acares to name a few. Maybe a bit of a challenge to source but more appreciated when you do.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 35.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 30.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.0%
Back