Looking for set up advice

finnish___fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm new here on reef2reef and to the world of reefing. I have been keeping planted freshwater tanks for years however and am itching to jump into my first reef tank. Over the past few months I have been buying equipment (list below) but I've come to a point where I think it would be helpful to get some other opinions. Primarily, I'm hung up on the size of the tank I should get. The main options that have been rattling around in my head are (1) a 40 gallon breeder or (2) an Aqueon 75 gallon. I plan on plumbing whichever tank I go with with an overflow so I can run my 30 gallon sump. I know that 40 gb's are known as really good first tanks but I'm just curious to hear other peoples thoughts and see if there are any recommendations/options that I haven't thought of. The Pros and Cons or each size are really just sending me in circles and I've listed some of the biggest ones I've thought of below.

40 gb:
Pros: Cheaper, preferred 36in length, easier to relocate if I have to move.
Cons: Smallest footprint, may realize that I should've gone with a bigger tank after a year or so, limits stocking options.

75 Gal:
Pros: More space for livestock and corals, more stable water parameters, more options in livestock selection, bigger is better
Cons: More expensive, will likely need to buy a third light(?), harder to relocate if I need to move,

Equipment I have:
- 2x AI Prime Reef LEDs
- Fiji Cube 30 Advanced Reef Sump
- IM Helio PTC 350W Heater
- Sicce Syncra Silent 5.0 Return Pump (1200 gph; from an old freshwater build)

I know I'll need more components in order to pull it all together but I don't want to decide on anything else until I've nailed down what size tank to pick up. I'm really curious to hear your opinions and recommendations.

Thanks!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked through this?
It may or may not be helpful...

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back