Looking for some help

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank is now up and running ( Thank you for all the help) housing a emerald crab, nassarious snail, a baby watchman, and a firefish. He hides a lot which I didn't really know even through the research I did so I would like to get a small clown or something but I'm just worried about the bio load. I didn't have anything spike since I put them in. I do water changes every 2 weeks. Just looking for opinions tia

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just need some more info to help out. For bioload, what size tank is this and when was the last time you added a new fish to the tank?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bioload/cycle issues aren't present in reefing, disease issues are

your concern would be disease vectoring from skipping fallow and qt

OP
OP
K

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just need some more info to help out. For bioload, what size tank is this and when was the last time you added a new fish to the tank?
It's a 10 gallon which is where my concern comes in. I added the first fish this past week. All he seems to do is hide and the kids at my work wanna see him all the time so I was maybe thinking I could possibly get away with a small ocell. clown. I feed once a day and they go sat and sun without

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its ok, I would keep it at 3 fish max though, for that size tank.

Personally, I would wait about 3-4 weeks before adding the clown, let that small tank adjust to the 2 fish fist IMO, it takes time for the bacteria to multiply.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i think lordofcinder is right, just wait another month before adding it, and only 1 clownfish. Be prepared to change out mechanical filter media a little sooner as well something like 2x a week to keep nitrates down if you are just using a small hob filter or something similar (im guessing no sump which is totally fine). This should be the absolute max for this tank unless you upgrade to a larger tank

OP
OP
K

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think its ok, I would keep it at 3 fish max though, for that size tank.

Personally, I would wait about 3-4 weeks before adding the clown, let that small tank adjust to the 2 fish fist IMO, it takes time for the bacteria to multiply.
100 percent all I really wanted was 2 fish but maybe the clown will bring the fire fish out

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he will bring in velvet, killing all the fish/seriously this is a risk we aren't discussing enough here in your thread

fish disease preps can't be skipped: see this forum for impacts:

the fish you added were already going down that path in a few months without the addition of the clown

those fish packed in a nano will bring it on even faster than the regular rates shown above, because that's cramped quarters on low quality feed skipping fallow and quarantine. -dry food is low quality / contrasted to hand prepared food they discuss in the disease forum/Paul B etc. this cumulative effect stresses the fish in a few mos after setup=disease

it's not mean to remind new keepers they can't skip fish disease even if it's inconvenient...it's mean to the fish to skip the preps. once fish disease preps are no longer required, action in that thread will nearly cease. its the busiest forum on the site due to the rate of people skipping preps due to inconvenience

Last edited:

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a 10 gallon which is where my concern comes in. I added the first fish this past week. All he seems to do is hide and the kids at my work wanna see him all the time so I was maybe thinking I could possibly get away with a small ocell. clown. I feed once a day and they go sat and sun without
Fish need time to acclimate. Big looming creatures don’t help the process.

OP
OP
K

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish need time to acclimate. Big looming creatures don’t help the process.
Clearly, my watchman doesn't bother him and neither do the crab or the snail. Those are the only things in there.

OP
OP
K

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
he will bring in velvet, killing all the fish/seriously this is a risk we aren't discussing enough here in your thread

fish disease preps can't be skipped: see this forum for impacts:

the fish you added were already going down that path in a few months without the addition of the clown

those fish packed in a nano will bring it on even faster than the regular rates shown above, because that's cramped quarters on low quality feed skipping fallow and quarantine. -dry food is low quality / contrasted to hand prepared food they discuss in the disease forum/Paul B etc. this cumulative effect stresses the fish in a few mos after setup=disease

it's not mean to remind new keepers they can't skip fish disease even if it's inconvenient...it's mean to the fish to skip the preps. once fish disease preps are no longer required, action in that thread will nearly cease. its the busiest forum on the site due to the rate of people skipping preps due to inconvenience
1st of all I've had tanks through out my life when I lived with my father. This is the first one I'm doing completely by myself and I've never a tank this small so I have more concern when it comes to that. Second I feed them brine, mysis, and pieces of calamari. 3rd this was never an issue when my father and I had tanks, not to mention people keep shoving these forums on people and I genuinely know little about how to navigate this website.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st of all I've had tanks through out my life when I lived with my father. This is the first one I'm doing completely by myself and I've never a tank this small so I have more concern when it comes to that. Second I feed them brine, mysis, and pieces of calamari. 3rd this was never an issue when my father and I had tanks, not to mention people keep shoving these forums on people and I genuinely know little about how to navigate this website.
You might want to listen to Brandon. Clowns are notorious for brook disease which is why its called clownfish disease. I got it in my tank from adding a non QT clown and it wiped out most of my fish. If you intend to add a clown find and LFS that does medicated QT or set up your own to be safe.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
To lessen the risk of disease which happens, try to acquire tank raised versus wild caught which are the ones more susceptible to bacteria and brook. I respect you have past experience with tanks and there is nothing wrong even with a 2 gallon tank, but how you manage it is key and I have faith that you have a handle on it.
As for the kids wanting to see the fish, often new arrivals and fish such as gobies are often scared or intimidated by movement and people the first few weeks. Often stepping back will bring them out.
To add a smile to your face, This is what fish see when we approach the tank:

what fish see.jpg

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearly, my watchman doesn't bother him and neither do the crab or the snail. Those are the only things in there.
I was thinking of the inquisitive creatures on the outside that might take time getting used too :) Even room lighting and passing shadows could be worrisome.

I had a beautiful orange fish which I can’t remember its name that lived in a rock cave the entire time he spent in my aquarium (I moved after a couple years and sold him back to the LFS). I bought an acrylic feeding stick and used it to get chunks of food to it in the cave every day. The acrylic feeding stick went with him.

OP
OP
K

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of the inquisitive creatures on the outside that might take time getting used too :) Even room lighting and passing shadows could be worrisome.

I had a beautiful orange fish which I can’t remember its name that lived in a rock cave the entire time he spent in my aquarium (I moved after a couple years and sold him back to the LFS). I bought an acrylic feeding stick and used it to get chunks of food to it in the cave every day. The acrylic feeding stick went with him.
He’s actually pretty okay with the kids running around it’s more my baby watchman that’s a scaredy cat lol

OP
OP
K

kay2443

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To lessen the risk of disease which happens, try to acquire tank raised versus wild caught which are the ones more susceptible to bacteria and brook. I respect you have past experience with tanks and there is nothing wrong even with a 2 gallon tank, but how you manage it is key and I have faith that you have a handle on it.
As for the kids wanting to see the fish, often new arrivals and fish such as gobies are often scared or intimidated by movement and people the first few weeks. Often stepping back will bring them out.
To add a smile to your face, This is what fish see when we approach the tank:

what fish see.jpg
Thank you that actually helped alot. Yes I've had tanks most my life as did my father. Thinking about marine biology for college. This stuff fascinates me

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 43 34.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%

Back