Status
Not open for further replies.

Trixter227

Wrasse Wrangler
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so, I have a 6 gallon cube and I want to keep a clown in it. Also maybe a shrimp or urchin… idk. Maybe not. Would the bio load be too much? I’m really scared about algae taking over. Thanks for your help.

Yeah but who decides that, really? They naturally live in a limitless ocean, I think we shouldn’t limit them to an arbitrary number of gallons. There’s plenty of room for the clown in a 6 gallon cube. Plus they don’t swim around all that much ime

Fish aren’t like humans though. Do they really get bored? I highly doubt it. All they need are the right parameters and food. They don’t need extra room to stretch their legs. I seriously don’t get the need for 20 gallons. There’s more than enough room in this tank. They’re fish for Christ’s sake.

Hey, seriously dont ask questions on a forum just to argue or try and dismiss everyones answer to the question.
You obviously posted this in hopes to get a response you wanted. Not a response from knowledge, experience, or even whats good for the animals well-being.

Do you keep your other pets in similar cramped conditions? Dogs are more than happy to live life in a cramped crate right??

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I must way under feed. Only Clowns I have that get that big are Maroons.

6gallons for something like a single Ocellaris is not totally awful but it’s not great in my opinion. As said above, I give an urchin zero chance in 6g.

As I said, I must under feed. My females have never got over maybe 3.5” being generous.
apologize ,missed the under fed

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No apology needed. I’m not doubting they can get that big. Just in my years of doing this I have never seen an Ocellaris that was the size of a smart-phone. Now I want to see one!
A lot of public aquariums have ones that are huge just maybe not as big as a smartphone as they are around 7 inches and up these days lol.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of public aquariums have ones that are huge just maybe not as big as a smartphone as they are around 7 inches and up these days lol.

Someone threw out 14cm which is the size of an iPhone. I don’t doubt some maybe over 5” but anything over 3.5” is huge for an Ocellaris at least in my opinion.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Someone threw out 14cm which is the size of an iPhone. I don’t doubt some maybe over 5” but anything over 3.5” is huge for an Ocellaris at least in my opinion.
At least the mini nowadays. They definitely are and the big ones I’ve seen are happy and fat.

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
agree also 15 17 20 yrs old at 6-7" fed special mixed diet

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least the mini nowadays. They definitely are and the big ones I’ve seen are happy and fat.
Maybe that’s the issue. People not being able to judge size in the water. These numbers are on par or larger with a standard phone which is only 5.8” tall.

IMG_3513.jpeg

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe that’s the issue. People not being able to judge size in the water. These numbers are on par or larger with a standard phone which is only 5.8” tall.

IMG_3513.jpeg
Yes definitely. Water and tanks especially public aquariums which are often curved do distort animals/objects in them.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick search put 4.5 inches for ocellaris and percula.

My female perc is around 3.5 and the male may be 2 inches. She's the pig of the tank. Spawning is frequent if fed regularly, they stopped spawning when I was feeding every other day. The pair is going on 17 I believe.

With regard to max size IME with various wild and cultured salmonids genetics plays just as much a role as diet. Not all the fish I raise are cookie cutters that will all max out at a set size. I have a lot of variability with my wild type fish....some may reach long lives and state records, but most will average out smaller.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah but who decides that, really? They naturally live in a limitless ocean, I think we shouldn’t limit them to an arbitrary number of gallons. There’s plenty of room for the clown in a 6 gallon cube. Plus they don’t swim around all that much ime
Um you just said it yourself they have a limitless ocean, so why using that logic would you say that a 6 gallon is fine for a fish that gets 4 inches fully grown? And my clownfish swim around a lot all the time. This statement is probably the dumbest thing Ive heard, and the fact youre continuing to argue tells me youve got no care for living creatures and should not have pets.

Last edited by a moderator:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No apology needed. I’m not doubting they can get that big. Just in my years of doing this I have never seen an Ocellaris that was the size of a smart-phone. Now I want to see one!
I have a 10 year old female darwin thats 4 to 4.5 inches! I got her as an adult since she was a surrender. Shes a big girl. Bigger than my maroon female in my other tank! Of course my maroon is only 2 so shes still growing but shes a big girl. Her male is about 3.5 inches. If Im being honest Ive never seen a regular clown that big before so I was very fascinated with her! But LFS usually sells babies so maybe thats why she looked so huge compared to other “adults” I had seen!

Zeefishies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, seriously dont ask questions on a forum just to argue or try and dismiss everyones answer to the question.
You obviously posted this in hopes to get a response you wanted. Not a response from knowledge, experience, or even whats good for the animals well-being.

Do you keep your other pets in similar cramped conditions? Dogs are more than happy to live life in a cramped crate right??
I definitely agree he was NOT expecting the respond he got.
Even dough clowns seems to gather in a certain area, They like explore time to time,
mine in every tank i have love to bolt across from one side to the other side.
Just saying!

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely agree he was NOT expecting the respond he got.
Even dough clowns seems to gather in a certain area, They like explore time to time,
mine in every tank i have love to bolt across from one side to the other side.
Just saying!
I agree with all but the first sentence. They got exactly what they were looking for.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They naturally live in a limitless ocean, I think we shouldn’t limit them to an arbitrary number of gallons. There’s plenty of room for the clown in a 6 gallon cube. Plus they don’t swim around all that much ime
No there isn't "plenty of room" for that type of fish and no amount of fallacy based rationalization will change that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 142 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.4%
Back