Looking for some stocking guidance. So many choices!

Tool13x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm new to marine systems but come from years of freshwater tanks. Looking for some stocking suggestions on my first saltwater tank. I have a 40gal breeder with a 20gal sump. I have chaeto going in the refugium with a xyclone skimmer and the tank is currently lit by a marine orbit LED.
My current stock are 2 clowns, 1 Tailspot Blenny, 1 Royal Gramma, and a Springers Damsel.
For CUC I have 5 astrea snails and 1 Nassarius snail.
Only being a 40 breeder I probably dont have much more room for fish so i was looking for something to fill the open water space. Most of my current fish like to hide in the rockwork. Any suggestions? I was thinking about adding some green chromis or a dwarf angel of some sort Like a flame angel (do I have room?)
Also any suggestions on supplementing my clean up crew? Hermits, shrimp, or a tiger conch?
My plans for this tank is to eventually supplement my lighting with T5s and add some softies. GSP, Zoas, mushrooms, etc.
Any suggestions for any of these areas would be appreciated. Thanks.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fishnet Stockings!

Sorry, I'm totally having a crazy day and your question triggered me. :)

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Murica

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I love flame hawkish. I’ve never had mine show any aggression towards shrimp, although some have reported this

Tennyson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem I see with adding a chromis is it may get bullied, especially if it's a small one compared to the gramma and damsel. The jumbo chromis are awesome if you can find one. If you plan to keep coral I'd be wary of a flame angel.

OP
OP
T

Tool13x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem I see with adding a chromis is it may get bullied, especially if it's a small one compared to the gramma and damsel. The jumbo chromis are awesome if you can find one. If you plan to keep coral I'd be wary of a flame angel.
What about a small school like 3 or 4 chromis, safety in numbers? I got the springer damsel because I read it wasn't very aggressive. I keep hearing mixed reviews about the flame angel. Ive heard they can nip at corals but a few people I know have kept them and not had any problems.

OP
OP
T

Tool13x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I love flame hawkish. I’ve never had mine show any aggression towards shrimp, although some have reported this
Ive never seen a flame hawkfish. But my LFS has a Falco Hawkfish and he has tons of personality, I kinda wanted to pick him up but I read hawkfish can be aggressive towards inverts.

mta_morrow

Of course I have room for 1 more fish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want open water activity and want to maintain peace, I would recommend a trio of zebra barred or scissor tail dart fish. Also any of the flasher wrasse.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive never seen a flame hawkfish. But my LFS has a Falco Hawkfish and he has tons of personality, I kinda wanted to pick him up but I read hawkfish can be aggressive towards inverts.
The only inverts at risk are small ones, like sexy shrimp.

mta_morrow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not add any more damsels/chromis to that size tank since you already have 3.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back