Is this to many fish? And how do I convert a freshwater aquarium?

Mnc-icymidnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have a 27g freshwater aquarium sat in my garage and i am going to set it up as a saltwater aquarium. How do I do this? Also, is my current stocking list way off? It is currently a pair of clowns, a royal gramma/black cap basslet (i can't decide), a firefish, a yasha goby/pistol shrimp pair and a tailspot blenny. Also CUC suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advace!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! I have a 27g freshwater aquarium sat in my garage and i am going to set it up as a saltwater aquarium. How do I do this? Also, is my current stocking list way off? It is currently a pair of clowns, a royal gramma/black cap basslet (i can't decide), a firefish, a yasha goby/pistol shrimp pair and a tailspot blenny. Also CUC suggestions would be helpful. Thanks in advace!
6 fish is pushing it a little in a 27g, my 28g currently has 4 smallish fish (I’ll probably add one more). All of the fish you listed stay fairly small, the only one I’d worry about is the gramma/baslet, they can be quite aggressive with conspecifics (the firefish and blenny), I would either leave it out or swap it for something else.

OP
OP
Mnc-icymidnight

Mnc-icymidnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6 fish is pushing it a little in a 27g, my 28g currently has 4 smallish fish (I’ll probably add one more). All of the fish you listed stay fairly small, the only one I’d worry about is the gramma/baslet, they can be quite aggressive with conspecifics (the firefish and blenny), I would either leave it out or swap it for something else.
Ok, thanks for the heads up! Any suggestions on alternatives

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like others said, you likely would have to give up either the gramma or the firefish. Both stay around the lower parts of the tank most of the time and eventually find a small cave that they host/live in. If I were you, I would stick to
1) the Clowns (easy and very hardy)
2) Gramma OR firefish
3) Yasha goby and shrimp duo
I can see how maybe some aggresion can rise with the goby and gramma/firefish since all 3 are bottom dwellers so try to make as many hiding spots or caves as possible in your rockwork. If you dont , they will make themselves a home by spitting out sand from under a rock haha. (my gramma did this to me and stressed a few of my corals out)
Other then that I hope this helps a bit

OP
OP
Mnc-icymidnight

Mnc-icymidnight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Thanks for all the input! I have decide to remove the gramma and the blenny. But i saw the pink streaked wrasse. With the others, would i be able to keep one?

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! Thanks for all the input! I have decide to remove the gramma and the blenny. But i saw the pink streaked wrasse. With the others, would i be able to keep one?
Ya that should be fine. I never had a pink streak wrasse but they are a gorgeous and peaceful fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 156 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.0%
Back