• For a Limited Time the R2R Partner Membership is NOW OPEN! Get some cool swag and chances to win part of over $20,000 in prizes! Click here for more details

Looking for XF330 + Wave engine programming tips

chaostactics

View Badges
Reaction score
I have an 80 gallon 24x24x32 99% zoa/paly tank with two Gyre XF330 power heads attached in a vertical fashion to my overflow box approximately 12 in or halfway off the bottom.

I just got a hydros wave engine so I have a better ability to control the pumps and do more customization on flow patterns. I'm looking for suggestions on some good programming for the pumps.

I am unable to move the pumps up or down or place them anywhere else in the tank. I also currently have flow from a Varios 6 return pump That is attached to two 3/4-in deductor/random flow generator running at approximately 60% of max gph.

Live rock is arranged into five main columns see attached drawings for Gyre replacement as well as live rock placement.
IMG_20200926_135753.jpg

[email protected]

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have an 80 gallon 24x24x32 99% zoa/paly tank with two Gyre XF330 power heads attached in a vertical fashion to my overflow box approximately 12 in or halfway off the bottom.

I just got a hydros wave engine so I have a better ability to control the pumps and do more customization on flow patterns. I'm looking for suggestions on some good programming for the pumps.

I am unable to move the pumps up or down or place them anywhere else in the tank. I also currently have flow from a Varios 6 return pump That is attached to two 3/4-in deductor/random flow generator running at approximately 60% of max gph.

Live rock is arranged into five main columns see attached drawings for Gyre replacement as well as live rock placement.
IMG_20200926_135753.jpg
I would encourage you to checkout our Hydros web page here:

https://www.coralvuehydros.com/waveengineflowmodes/

We also have several YouTube videos on the subject

minus9

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I have two 330's and two mp40's connected to my wave engine. I have the gyres on group 1 and the mp40's on group 2, but the programming is the same for both. From 8am to 8pm I run "reef day" which I use the preset sps reef (my gyres are set to 20-70% range in the pump set up) with max intensity set to 65%. During the night I use LPS reef set to 35%. During the day I run two different retreating triggers, ones happens during even hours for 5 minutes, which is essentially the "hurricane" constant speed, but mine is set to 70% or my fish would be pinned against the glass. Then during odd hours, I run a program called "detritus" which runs for 10 minutes, the preset is nutrient transport set to 70%.
On top of that, I programmed a trigger that can run the "hurricane" preset at the push of a button, which is triggered by my apex. My tank is a custom 90g, 36x36x16. I have the gyres on the sides and the mp40's on the back wall. My two returns also have RFG's for even more random flow.
162AC268-0566-4D40-999E-78D6191B6D1A.jpeg
9343F1CC-4E81-4434-9977-BB8246A5B34C.jpeg

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Tank
View Badges
Reaction score
I am using two XF250s with my WaveEngine, today I am using 0-100% Random during the day with some custom pump strength tuning on 1 pump (lowering its max), and 0-70% at night. They are configured to be opposite sides of each other; they really are not but thats another story, mine are much more like yours on my peninsula tank. Every 6 hours running 5min 100% nutrient export plus a 25 minute 0-50% random feeding time @ 6:30pm, that is followed by another nutrient export for 5min.

Because your mostly Zoa/Paly I would try maybe a lower % and go up slowly on the random until your happy. Watch your tank over a good 10 minutes as you will get alot of changes in flow in that duration on random. I REALLY like the WaveEngine random compared to the old Advanced Controller for my 200s.

How vigilant are you when it comes to the TDS of your RODI water?

• It is VERY important to me

Votes: 239 64.4%
  • It is somewhat important to me

Votes: 103 27.8%
  • It is NOT important to me

Votes: 21 5.7%
  • Other (please explain in thread)

Votes: 8 2.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors