Looking for XF330 + Wave engine programming tips

chaostactics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80 gallon 24x24x32 99% zoa/paly tank with two Gyre XF330 power heads attached in a vertical fashion to my overflow box approximately 12 in or halfway off the bottom.

I just got a hydros wave engine so I have a better ability to control the pumps and do more customization on flow patterns. I'm looking for suggestions on some good programming for the pumps.

I am unable to move the pumps up or down or place them anywhere else in the tank. I also currently have flow from a Varios 6 return pump That is attached to two 3/4-in deductor/random flow generator running at approximately 60% of max gph.

Live rock is arranged into five main columns see attached drawings for Gyre replacement as well as live rock placement.
IMG_20200926_135753.jpg

Michael@CoralVue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an 80 gallon 24x24x32 99% zoa/paly tank with two Gyre XF330 power heads attached in a vertical fashion to my overflow box approximately 12 in or halfway off the bottom.

I just got a hydros wave engine so I have a better ability to control the pumps and do more customization on flow patterns. I'm looking for suggestions on some good programming for the pumps.

I am unable to move the pumps up or down or place them anywhere else in the tank. I also currently have flow from a Varios 6 return pump That is attached to two 3/4-in deductor/random flow generator running at approximately 60% of max gph.

Live rock is arranged into five main columns see attached drawings for Gyre replacement as well as live rock placement.
IMG_20200926_135753.jpg

I would encourage you to checkout our Hydros web page here:

https://www.coralvuehydros.com/waveengineflowmodes/

We also have several YouTube videos on the subject

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have two 330's and two mp40's connected to my wave engine. I have the gyres on group 1 and the mp40's on group 2, but the programming is the same for both. From 8am to 8pm I run "reef day" which I use the preset sps reef (my gyres are set to 20-70% range in the pump set up) with max intensity set to 65%. During the night I use LPS reef set to 35%. During the day I run two different retreating triggers, ones happens during even hours for 5 minutes, which is essentially the "hurricane" constant speed, but mine is set to 70% or my fish would be pinned against the glass. Then during odd hours, I run a program called "detritus" which runs for 10 minutes, the preset is nutrient transport set to 70%.
On top of that, I programmed a trigger that can run the "hurricane" preset at the push of a button, which is triggered by my apex. My tank is a custom 90g, 36x36x16. I have the gyres on the sides and the mp40's on the back wall. My two returns also have RFG's for even more random flow.
162AC268-0566-4D40-999E-78D6191B6D1A.jpeg
9343F1CC-4E81-4434-9977-BB8246A5B34C.jpeg

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am using two XF250s with my WaveEngine, today I am using 0-100% Random during the day with some custom pump strength tuning on 1 pump (lowering its max), and 0-70% at night. They are configured to be opposite sides of each other; they really are not but thats another story, mine are much more like yours on my peninsula tank. Every 6 hours running 5min 100% nutrient export plus a 25 minute 0-50% random feeding time @ 6:30pm, that is followed by another nutrient export for 5min.

Because your mostly Zoa/Paly I would try maybe a lower % and go up slowly on the random until your happy. Watch your tank over a good 10 minutes as you will get alot of changes in flow in that duration on random. I REALLY like the WaveEngine random compared to the old Advanced Controller for my 200s.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two 330's and two mp40's connected to my wave engine. I have the gyres on group 1 and the mp40's on group 2, but the programming is the same for both. From 8am to 8pm I run "reef day" which I use the preset sps reef (my gyres are set to 20-70% range in the pump set up) with max intensity set to 65%. During the night I use LPS reef set to 35%. During the day I run two different retreating triggers, ones happens during even hours for 5 minutes, which is essentially the "hurricane" constant speed, but mine is set to 70% or my fish would be pinned against the glass. Then during odd hours, I run a program called "detritus" which runs for 10 minutes, the preset is nutrient transport set to 70%.
On top of that, I programmed a trigger that can run the "hurricane" preset at the push of a button, which is triggered by my apex. My tank is a custom 90g, 36x36x16. I have the gyres on the sides and the mp40's on the back wall. My two returns also have RFG's for even more random flow.
nice tank setup...very clean and I can see you've put a lot of thinking into your wave programs - nice! BTW...can you share with me the brand name of the fans you are using above your tank. I'm looking to buy some fans and looking for good recommendation on quality fans. Thanks

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
nice tank setup...very clean and I can see you've put a lot of thinking into your wave programs - nice! BTW...can you share with me the brand name of the fans you are using above your tank. I'm looking to buy some fans and looking for good recommendation on quality fans. Thanks
Thank you for the kind words.
The fans are Noctua's. I have two different versions, two 12v (NF-P12 120mm) and one 24v (NF-F12 120mm). The 12v fans are pretty quiet, but the 24v fan is a bit noisy, but it's rpm is more than double of the other fans. I have them connected to my apex's 24v ports, the 12v fans use a step down converter, but the 24v fan is connected directly to the port. Also, the 24v fan is IP67 rated, which is nice. I can always run it at a lower speed to reduce the noise, but I'll keep it this way, as I have it programmed to come on at a higher temperature than the other fans, so it's an indicator to my tanks temp. You can pm me and I can give you more details.

Bluedore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see you have your pumps in two different groups? Is there advantage in grouping them separately compare to just in one group? I’ve got 6 pumps(2-330, 2-280 & 2 mp40), trying to find the best flow and configuration for them. Any help is greatly appreciated.

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I see you have your pumps in two different groups? Is there advantage in grouping them separately compare to just in one group? I’ve got 6 pumps(2-330, 2-280 & 2 mp40), trying to find the best flow and configuration for them. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Having two groups gives me a little more control over each type (gyre & vortechs). I pretty much program them the same way, but I can easily change settings on the gyres and not affect the mp40's, vice versa. It also gives me more control over intensity for each group. I can also change their trigger times or presets to create even more random flow.

Bluedore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having two groups gives me a little more control over each type (gyre & vortechs). I pretty much program them the same way, but I can easily change settings on the gyres and not affect the mp40's, vice versa. It also gives me more control over intensity for each group. I can also change their trigger times or presets to create even more random flow.
Thanks for the reply. Could you screen shot how you setup the mp40’s? Thanks.

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having two groups gives me a little more control over each type (gyre & vortechs). I pretty much program them the same way, but I can easily change settings on the gyres and not affect the mp40's vice versa. It also gives me more control over intensity for each group. I can also change their trigger times or presets to create even more random flow.
If you were only using MP40's or MP60's and did not have Gyre pumps, would you still be using the wave engine? I'm trying to figure out if I am only going to use MP60's , on my new tank, does the wave engine give me anything that I don't get from the MP60 controllers?

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If you were only using MP40's or MP60's and did not have Gyre pumps, would you still be using the wave engine? I'm trying to figure out if I am only going to use MP60's , on my new tank, does the wave engine give me anything that I don't get from the MP60 controllers?
If I only have mp40's or vortechs, then probably not. Now that they are mobius compatible, it's pretty straight forward. I absolutely hate using ecosmart live and the reeflink, so if I were to use only vortechs, then mobius is the way. I wanted everything under one controller, whether that was my apex or whatever, but the maxspect gyres don't allow a direct way of controlling them other than on/off via apex.
If I were using gyres and other pumps or more than two gyres, I would seriously consider the wave engine.
Hope this helps?

Karliefish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I only have mp40's or vortechs, then probably not. Now that they are mobius compatible, it's pretty straight forward. I absolutely hate using ecosmart live and the reeflink, so if I were to use only vortechs, then mobius is the way. I wanted everything under one controller, whether that was my apex or whatever, but the maxspect gyres don't allow a direct way of controlling them other than on/off via apex.
If I were using gyres and other pumps or more than two gyres, I would seriously consider the wave engine.
Hope this helps?
Really clear and helpful info here. Thank you.

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have something similar - 2-350's, 2-250's and 2 mp40's.

Trying to figure a out a flow pattern for mixed reef 84x24x30 tall

I have the 350's at the top towards the front of the tank. The two 250's are at the back oriented vertically and the the two mp40's are on the back panel.

Bluedore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have something similar - 2-350's, 2-250's and 2 mp40's.

Trying to figure a out a flow pattern for mixed reef 84x24x30 tall

I have the 350's at the top towards the front of the tank. The two 250's are at the back oriented vertically and the the two mp40's are on the back panel.
I have mine grouped into one, have not tried like minus9 separate them into different groups. Too lazy to change the setup now, seems I’ll need 3 sets of separate settings. Good luck & let us know if you find something works best in the 6 pump configuration.

steveb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now I just have the gyres on the wave engine. MP40's are still controlled by APEX. I need to attach the 10v cable from wave engine to Apex. will probably do that sometime this week.

I spent last night performing surgery on my Trident ;Yuck Thankfully successfully.

Here is humpty dumpty lol..

1606227443405.png

Last edited:

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 10 90.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 9.1%
Back