Looking to add my next fish and need help

What fish should i purchase next ???


  • Total voters
    18
  • Poll closed .
My quest is to keep fish for a long time once we swipe them from the ocean. Some consider keeping Anthias a couple of years success. Rarely do I hear of anyone haveing long term success with them. As a result in my humble opinion they are best left in the wild where they are reported to have much longer life spans. Unlike let’s say a properly kept tang which can live decades in captivity.
Any fish we swipe from the ocean has a good chance of living longer in a well kept aquarium. I think because it is not going to be lunch for another predator fish but either way that's the life of a fish.
 
Any fish we swipe from the ocean has a good chance of living longer in a well kept aquarium. I think because it is not going to be lunch for another predator fish but either way that's the life of a fish.
I would agree that “many” vs “any” as we have some fish who have proven to consistently have shorter life spans in captivity even when kept under the best of circumstances and most experienced hobbyist. Additionally things go wrong every once in a while in any tank and the hardier the species, the higher likelihood they will live through it and hopefully live their average life span
 
Last edited:
I added my purple tang to my display tank 2 days ago. The purple chased the tomini a few times the first day, but nothing violent and nothing constant. I would just consider it asserting dominance and yesterday I didn't see any aggression at all. So at least for me adding a larger purple tang to a slightly smaller established tomini tang seems like it wont be an issue.
Good to know thank you ! I still have my purple tang on order no idea when it is showing up haha and then i have a 30 day QT ahead so time for my Tomini to get a little bigger and tougher haha. I have an acclimation box i use in the display but i cant see the tomini being aggressive to the purple?
 
Good to know thank you ! I still have my purple tang on order no idea when it is showing up haha and then i have a 30 day QT ahead so time for my Tomini to get a little bigger and tougher haha. I have an acclimation box i use in the display but i cant see the tomini being aggressive to the purple?
Now that the purple tang as been in the tank a few weeks I have a better idea of its aggression. It is definitely the king of the tank, and occasionally I will still see it chase the tomini off, but it only happens rarely and it isn't hurting the tomini or causing it to constantly hide. The purple so far has not paid any attention to any of the other fish.
 
Now that the purple tang as been in the tank a few weeks I have a better idea of its aggression. It is definitely the king of the tank, and occasionally I will still see it chase the tomini off, but it only happens rarely and it isn't hurting the tomini or causing it to constantly hide. The purple so far has not paid any attention to any of the other fish.
Appreciate all the info thank you !
How big is your tank again?
Is the purple the biggest fish in the tank ?
What are the sizes of your tomini and purple ?

Sorry for all the questions haha
 
Appreciate all the info thank you !
How big is your tank again?
Is the purple the biggest fish in the tank ?
What are the sizes of your tomini and purple ?

Sorry for all the questions haha
The purple tang is around 4 inches or maybe slightly more and the tomini is about an inch shorter. The purple is the biggest fish in the tank, if you ignore my engineer gobies who are longer but hide all the time.
My tank is the standard 6' 125gallon.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new