Looking To Build DIY Phytoplankton System

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a system to brew phytoplankton because I knew nothing about it. The system has worked very well and I no longer feed corals any coral food, just the phytoplankton. Now that I know how to brew phytoplankton, I would like to make more. Looking for suggestions on DIY phytoplankton systems.

Thank you!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean by DIY, I just use a 2 litre pop bottle, fill it 3 quarters with saltwater and top off with phyto, add F2, add an airline, and put it under a cheap grow light for 4-5 days. There are many videos on youtube.

Sorry if I misunderstand your question.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much do you want to add weekly?
That is the question.
Let's say you want to add a total of 1 gallon per week. It takes a week to produce a batch, so a gallon vessel is a good size. Then most any light source and a bubbler. You want to keep a lid on it to keep out nasties.
Shoot for a clear or white jar to get light in.
Some companies sell phyto reactors with baggies for liners; it does simplify keeping things clean.
You also want to make sure the f2 gets mostly used up before dosing so you are not adding nitrate and phosphate in also.

OP
OP
PeterC99

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what you mean by DIY, I just use a 2 litre pop bottle, fill it 3 quarters with saltwater and top off with phyto, add F2, add an airline, and put it under a cheap grow light for 4-5 days. There are many videos on youtube.

Sorry if I misunderstand your question.
Do you have a picture of your grow light? Debating about putting led string lights around container.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture of your grow light? Debating about putting led string lights around container.
I grow herbs so I already had grow lights, its overkill for phyto but it works for me. You can get pretty cheap led grow lights these days from amazon that will work for phyto, probably the led string will work. Even if you have a spot in your home that gets sunlight a few hours a day, that works perfect too.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back