Looking to get back into the hobby after 10 years

Gcowles

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I recently saw a friends aquarium and got the itch to get back into keeping a saltwater aquarium. It’s been 10 years since I was in the hobby back in high school and it seems completely different. There is so much more equipment, it’s a little overwhelming to figure out what I need, and what is more of a luxury item. I am looking at starting with either an SCA 50 gallon cube, or the SCA 66 gallon cube. It comes with a sump, return pump and protein skimmer. I was also looking at the Kessil A360X. Would that be enough light to cover the tank and be enough for any type of coral I would want to grow in the future? Is the Kessil worth the money, or are there cheaper options that are just as good? Besides a couple of wave makers and a heater, what else is essential? I really like the idea of controlling everything with an Apex system, but that will be well down the road.

Thanks for any input!

o00brandon00o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

I recently saw a friends aquarium and got the itch to get back into keeping a saltwater aquarium. It’s been 10 years since I was in the hobby back in high school and it seems completely different. There is so much more equipment, it’s a little overwhelming to figure out what I need, and what is more of a luxury item. I am looking at starting with either an SCA 50 gallon cube, or the SCA 66 gallon cube. It comes with a sump, return pump and protein skimmer. I was also looking at the Kessil A360X. Would that be enough light to cover the tank and be enough for any type of coral I would want to grow in the future? Is the Kessil worth the money, or are there cheaper options that are just as good? Besides a couple of wave makers and a heater, what else is essential? I really like the idea of controlling everything with an Apex system, but that will be well down the road.

Thanks for any input!

@Gcowles Welcome to R2R!!!

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

tenor.gif

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

Dusting.gif

I’m glad to see that you are dusting off your skills!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It has changed in 10 years and new technology will amaze you !!

Back