Looking to leave hobby and sell livestock, how to ship?

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Looking for advice on how to ship livestock (fish, corals, inverts) in order to sell. I’m assuming I’ll need boxes, cold packs/heating packs?, bags, rubberbands, styrofoam containers? What does the shipping process look like and entail? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A LFS may have insulated shipping containers for free. Depending on temperature, an ice pack, heat pack, or no pack is used and usually taped to the inside of the cooler lid. Double bagging with fish bags for fish and large coral, and or specimen containers for coral frags. I suggest to use www.pirateship.com for shipping labels. Just print and attach to the box. Gotta know the weight and size of the box. Also, if shipping across country, the box usually has to arrive at a certain time to make the flight out. I would ask your shipper about that for overnight shipping. Usually the cost for ups overnight is anywhere from $30-$100 on pirateship, but that is a generalization. *Note, I have never shipped anything, but do have a small business and talk with other business owners. There are also videos on youtube. Good luck!

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You pretty much covered it... bags, rubberbands, filler like peanuts, cold/hot packs and cardboard boxes with inner styrofoam boxes. Those boxes are not cheap at $10+ (and costly to ship) which is why a lot of places even with free shipping charge for boxes. You can of course do what I sometimes, and others do, is buy some boxes and styrofoam sheets from some place like Lowes or HD. Then you cut the sheets to form and inner styro box. Alternatively some people are now using mylar bags to ship in a box which is a more watertight solution.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could try a vendor like shipyouraquatics.com for supplies and shipping discount. I haven’t used them yet but had a long discussion with them at RAP and they answered my many questions patiently. There are a few other similar vendors I think.

OP
OP
W

WrasseyReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
How do I know if I need an ice pack or a heat pack? I know it depends on the weather from me and the recipient, but is there a guide that shows what temps require a cold/heat pack?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Having had an LFS, there has to be a balance of air and water and if in transit more than 12 hours, as I did shipping as part of my operation, I highly advise pure oxygen with newspaper around bag for insulation and wrap ice/heat packs in newspaper and MARK BOX WITH WORDS LIVE FISH. Sometimes it wont matter but often a delivery driver will be aware and attempt better handling.
Most LFS are willing to get rid of styro boxes free of charge.
Assure to use thick ML bags and use minimum of three bags in case of leakage.

Last edited:

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any one have tips on how to ship fish and coral?

#reefsquad @vetteguy53081

There’s several videos on YouTube. ReefBum, WWC, FishOfHex, etc.

Boxes…I use an 8x8 for Acro’s. Bags vary, but I’m using a 4x12” & 4x18” (4 mil) poly bags. Fish you would need much larger. Bags are usually anywhere from 2-6 mil. I use 4 mil, and Size 26 Rubber Bands- (about 1”). 2 oz Jell-O shot cups to protect the Acro’s. 40 Hr Heat packs anything under 60-55 degrees. Cool packs over about 82 degrees. A lot of other stuff to consider, but this is just general.

Go to TSK Supply…they have bags and rubber bands:

Amazon has most stuff…

Aiden22!

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, do people typically pay for some kind of insurance with the shipping?
Well, that depends on what is offered in your state. In Florida, the only insurance offered is for exceptionally large shipments amounting to tens of thousands of dollars worth of (live) contents, usually for fish stores that can afford the payments for this insurance. Because live fish can be such a hit or miss in terms of shipping, it is extremely difficult for insurance companies to offer any type of coverage for a small shipment from the breakdown," as you mentioned. The best option would be to overnight with USPS, as they charge based on weight and size of the package. Double bag the fish or coral and fill in the free space in the box with an absorbent, like a packed paper towel. Another extra step would be to add an ice pack to lower temperatures if the area you’re shipping it to is hot. I have seen shippers from cold areas place heaters in the bags as well. I hope this helps!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back