Looking to upgrade my return pump need help

Raptor777

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Hi All

I have a 45 gallon AIO JBJ tank that has two stock return pumps. I would like to swap them out for an Ecotech Vectra S2 for control and also to reduce to just one pump. So I’m pretty sure the tubing for this tank and return pumps are 1/2 and the S2 has 3/4 inch . Is it possible to have the S2 and if so can someone help me with a parts list I would need to upgrade to the 1 s2 pump?Thanks in advance!

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would do something like a Y barbed 3/4 to 1/2 connector from lowes/Home Depot.

srobertb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

I have a 45 gallon AIO JBJ tank that has two stock return pumps. I would like to swap them out for an Ecotech Vectra S2 for control and also to reduce to just one pump. So I’m pretty sure the tubing for this tank and return pumps are 1/2 and the S2 has 3/4 inch . Is it possible to have the S2 and if so can someone help me with a parts list I would need to upgrade to the 1 s2 pump?Thanks in advance!
First off. I wouldn’t go with the Vectra’s because they don’t have remote Wi-Fi as far as I know. Mine was relegated to salt mixer until it died 6 months ago and went in the trash. Second, I would keep two return pumps. I had my return pump power supply fail on vacation. When I got back, I added a second in tandem. They both ran at 40% in my AIO and if one died, I could just remotely crank the other up to 80% and go back to vacation. I used COR-15’s which literally ate nassarius snails. I made the mistake of overloading an EB832 which was my fault.

If you don’t have an apex/controller, I’d go with Jebao. Probably 1/4-1/2 the cost, dead silent, and Wi-Fi controllable (I believe on certain models)

But that really wasn’t your question. So! On to that. Determine the tubing size. ID (inner diameter is the important measurement) Purchase a small amount of it via Amazon. Purchase a 3-way barb fitting in the appropriate size (You want a “Y” shape not a “T” shape. For the pump: I think it comes with barb fittings? You may get lucky and have the correct barb fitting in the box. If you do not, you’ll need to get some PVC cement and go to Lowe’s with a piece of the aforementioned tubing you bought. Someone will help you. You’ll need 3/4” pvc to female NPT thread, then a 3/4 male thread to the appropriate barb size.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m very happy with my Simplicity Pumps. I have two 1000 running Skimmers on two different tanks. Also two 1600 on my 120 Gallon for the returns. The return pumps are on two different GFCI and Power Strips, so if one circuit trips, I’ll still have flow. BTW I would like to have Foam Bio Filters to slip over the pumps strainers.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hi All

The Vectras are great pumps. My only concern would be do you have enough space?
You said AIO tank. That's a tank with the sump attached to the back of the display tank?
So my question is the Vectra going to fit back there?
As far as making the connection from 3/4" to 1/2", just go to what ever hardware store ( box store) is close and find a 3/4" to 1/2" reducer.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn’t read the original post well enough to realize it’s an AIO. You should check ReefBreeders web site. Their DC Pumps look just like the Simplicity’s, but come in smaller sizes.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back