Loosing Clownfish

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So... 140g system, healthy reef, 2x large rainbow bubble anemones (split from a single). Tank is bare bottom, very limited rockwork, very 'open' system. It'd be real tough to hide for long in this tank.

There's a fair sized (10" long or so) Elegance coral at the foot of the island where my nems live. Aside from that, I don't have any aggressive fish eating corals.

Had a pair of chocolate ORA Ocellaris clown for over a year. Seemed to be doing well, living in and around my RBTA's. One disappeared, never to be found. A few weeks ago, I picked up a very small juvenile chocolate Ocellaris to replace the one that disappeared. He seemed to be doing well, living peacefully with the older clown in the RBTA.

Tonight, while feeding, I noticed that NEITHER of my clowns came out to eat. A fairly extensive search turned up nothing... they're gone. No sign of them.

I do have a Porcelain Anemone crab, maybe an inch and a half across, living in the same group of two RBTA's... anyone ever heard of an aggressive porcelain crab?

Fishes? Juvenile Scopes tang, Juvenile Tomini tang, Juvenile Spotbreast Angelfish, Juvenile Lamark's Angelfish, 2x Five Line Cardinals, 3x Pajama Cardinals, Ochre striped Cardinal, Midas Blenny. There's an orange tile starfish... I don't do hermits, so there are no other crabs in the tank... a handful of snails, a few cleaner shrimp, that's about it.

Can't think of anything that would be killing clownfish, except perhaps the elegance coral.

Thoughts?

Oh... recent photos:

LeftIsland.jpg

RightIsland.jpg

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look around the tank and made sure they didnt jump? In My 6 years of reefing I never had fish jump, last month 2 clowns jumped from my 2 tanks.

OP
OP
Greybeard

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look around the tank and made sure they didnt jump? In My 6 years of reefing I never had fish jump, last month 2 clowns jumped from my 2 tanks.
Custom screen top, fits well, there's no way out. Overflows are H2Overflows, also well screened. I did flashlight my sump, they're just gone.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Custom screen top, fits well, there's no way out. Overflows are H2Overflows, also well screened. I did flashlight my sump, they're just gone.
Got it. I have seen nems eat small dead fish before as long as it fits in their mouths. Just another thought for disappearance entirely.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back