Loosing tissue on a large chalice please help!

notthatkindareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I am loosing tissue on a large chalice coral in my IM15 G. Nano tank doing 10% weekly wc. I have a crappy light and the LFS kept the chalice in roughly 100-150 par. Mines at maybe 50. I am doing my water changes but the chalice seems to get worse and worse every week, any tips on care?

Also I don’t have any test kits and my LFS uses API tests … so I am not sure what my levels are.
72309569612__7DED50B5-ECFB-4E79-8EC2-82A6D4B93751.jpeg

It’s the large green chalice on the right side there. Got it for 25 dollars an absolute steal, but I have multiple other chalice that are all doing fine and that one is just hurting. Anything helps, and sorry I don’t test, it’s just expensive and I don’t have the means to purchase a full line of test kits yet.

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tbh theres not much that can be done with no tests to check or any other major changes recent. it may be too close to other coral and they may be attacking each other your tank is pretty crowded. try moving it and see how it progresses. super high par or coral warfare is usually the only thing ive had issue with chalices dying

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

notthatkindareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a closer pic of the chalice
I removed some of the skeleton that was inside of the portion that looks like a “bite” was taken out of it on the right side. It’s also got white spots when the lights are off (which have slowly increased over the past week since I got it). My light so so weak I can’t blame bleaching and it’s mostly all alone over here so I can’t blame coral warfare.
IMG_9202.jpeg
IMG_9200.jpeg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

notthatkindareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to raise it higher if you can, 50 par is pretty low, especially if it came from a tank that was double/triple that par. It looks like its slowly dying.
I added another one of those lights I had laying around and targeted the chalice hopefully that will help!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
N

notthatkindareefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any change over last few days?
It’s just slowly dying. I added more light but it didn’t really help. I talked with a chalice head out of Nola and he said they do this from time to time, and it’s usually impossible to bring them back. So I just stuck him at the bottom and let him do his thing until he’s fully gone :(

Upvote 0

Rijodan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im pretty big into chalices and over the last few years i dont think ive had any that have wasted away for no reason. youre gonna need to test and figure out whats up cause this chalice may be the canary in the coal mine for everything else in the tank, you prob have some kind of nutrient imbalance. its a small enough tank you can likely get it back on track with daily 1 gal w/c.

you have alot of really good looking coral, relying on api kits someone else is doing is not an easy recipe for success, highly recommend getting something to test atleast your main nutes with. salifert is cheap and decent if you dont want to spend money, hanna is easy and reliable for most things. theres plenty of threads on which is best for each but for prevention of further loss i highly recommend you getting something

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.5%
Back