Losing A fish a day...

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I"ll be honest and say that I didn't read the whole thread. I just want to share my thoughts on what has happened here. 1. Your tank wasn't mature enough to handle that large of a bioload that quickly. Introducing your stock slowly is very important with a new tank. The presence of ammonia and nitrite are what tells me this. 2. The chromi sounds like it had a bacterial infection. (fungus is not something found in saltwater) Chromis are very prone to this and Uronema which can kill them pretty quickly at times. 3. The other fish likely died of a parasite if you haven't used a QT with your additions. Without pictures it would be very difficult to diagnose the disease, but I can tell you that it was probably velvet or maybe flukes. Velvet especially can kill very quickly and sometimes without showing much of a sign at all. Visit the Fish Disease part of the forum and read through the stickies there for more info on how to QT properly and how to treat the most common diseases.

Best of luck! I'm sure somebody has already stated all I just did so I'm sorry if I'm repeating others.

I concur on all fronts.

themcnertney

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Donate your live stock to lps and uninstall your reef tank until you know what your doing

That's a bit much.
As I mentioned start doing small frequent water changes. Monitor parameters. And don't add live stock until things become a bit more stable.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia is the number one killer to all fish [emoji226] any is no good if the tanks a month old that's to soon to stalk anything I don't recommend anything for up to five months and even at that I'd add only little at a time stop killing our reefs and know what your doing before starting a reef tank always start small like a ten gallon before going bigger!! So you know how to take care of your reef tank..

Donate your live stock to lps and uninstall your reef tank until you know what your doing

This is horrible advice. I get a quarantine tank set up for fish in 3 days, and most of time is letting the fresh salt mix age. There is absolutely no reason you need to wait 5 months before adding fish.

Go to MACNA or a similar event some time. They set up beautiful reef tanks with large bio loads in 24hrs, not 5 months.

mookinpie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Come at me bro I'm a reef tuff guy born in the ocean near the golf I've been raised with the great sea turtles and have saved many reefs around the world what have you done guy.. I also lift weights [emoji963] bro!!

Lovemycj7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your losses. Setting up a qt would be recommended or you will just repeat this again. Lots of good threads out there on how to do it. Good luck!

beachsidereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @jsker for stopping by yesterday and taking a look at my tank. I think that's one of the coolest things about the hobby that everyone is willing to help each other out when confronted with a difficult issue.

I just got word that the Triton lab in Germany received my water sample so I'm looking forward to seeing the test results.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you @jsker for stopping by yesterday and taking a look at my tank. I think that's one of the coolest things about the hobby that everyone is willing to help each other out when confronted with a difficult issue.

I just got word that the Triton lab in Germany received my water sample so I'm looking forward to seeing the test results.

Your welcome, and thank for your hospitality. That was a great idea pulling a water sample and sending it off to be tested. It will be interesting to see the test results.

OP
OP
D

DJ Monty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Great advice, thanks for your help...
To everyone else who did help, many ,many thanks.. I think I'm figuring this out now.. I'm going to be really busy with it all today so I'll try & post what i'm finding later tonight... It's awesome to get this kind of help...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice, thanks for your help...
To everyone else who did help, many ,many thanks.. I think I'm figuring this out now.. I'm going to be really busy with it all today so I'll try & post what i'm finding later tonight... It's awesome to get this kind of help...

Keep us posted! Dont be afraid to ask more questions as you need to :)

Paullawr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Polyfilter is a media used to absorb excess nitrite/ammonia etc. If you run a canister filter add it to that or in sump near area of flow.

http://www.arcadia-aquatic.com/poly-filter/

Can be bought on Amazon etc.

It's not to be used as a filter media all the time just when you detect issues. As I say handy to have some about.

Sistawolf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@mookinpie do you know how moronic you sound? First of all.. I'm sure you didn't jump into sw knowing everything there is to know before setup.. give the guy a break.. and don't come at @Brew12 like that.. it's uncalled for.. your negative post did not help @DJ Monty with his situation so why even bother posting period.. you were raised with turtles? How about posting actual help since you know so much

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@mookinpie do you know how moronic you sound? First of all.. I'm sure you didn't jump into sw knowing everything there is to know before setup.. give the guy a break.. and don't come at @Brew12 like that.. it's uncalled for.. your negative post did not help @DJ Monty with his situation so why even bother posting period.. you were raised with turtles? How about posting actual help since you know so much
I could be wrong, but I believe @mookinpie's post was a joke. I didn't take him to be serious.

mookinpie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks mdbannister for having a since of humor [emoji18]

mookinpie

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyways since I'm not doing any better then on my tank how do I cut down my Xenia's or make them move off the rock do I increase the flow? Or use a razor??
IMG_1478662779.509328.jpg

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks mdbannister for having a since of humor [emoji18]
Ha! Well, I do understand why some people may not always detect humor that's intended in written posts. It's harder to "hear" the sarcasm in written communication than it would be in conversation. :) Let's bring this back to the topic the OP needed help with. ;)

#1nebula

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 220g with a 55g sump/refugium & Bubble Magnus Curve DC9 Skimmer & Tunze ATO... There is around 200lb of rock in the tank..All set up a couple of months ago..Everything has been running great until about a week ago when we found a dead fish.. Following day another one was missing . That's the way it was all week including today.. Some days we find dead sometimes I know the shrimp are eating them..Water tests like this
Nitrite 0.05
Nitrate 0
PH 8.26
Alk 6 Dkh
Salinity 1.024
Amonia .02

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.. I have 3 very small Percula clowns left & 1 Yellow Coris Wrasse... All the fish that were lost were under 2" in length...
Please help..
Are you're fishes dying with there gills open n there skin has a light see thru coat of slime on them it's a possibility u have brook in your tank,it could've been brought into your tank by adding a sick specimen.take your time and take a good close look on each fish u have left.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 4.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 21 20.4%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 37 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back