Losing almost all corals

Wyz1981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long time reefer but have a Newer tank. My others are still operating successfully. Just wanted a larger tank. Everything was running fine and all corals that were moved from old tank growing fine including acros. Had an outbreak of ich and used ruby ick pro. Noticed not much change over the two weeks until after the final dose and I lost a monti and birds nest over night. All parameters right on point. Sent out icp and only showing high silicon at 800 and some aluminum. Did 2 twenty percent water changes. No improvement. Almost all corals not improving. One large torch still ok but all others closed up or dead. Don’t know what else to do. Nothing else changed in the tank. System controlled by an APEX and dosing to maintain calcium and alk

9CEEA055-E6AD-450B-843F-91ECB2DBB92B.jpeg FFB912FF-94D2-4401-850F-4C6B97FE763B.jpeg F9D0FA74-98AD-41B6-8681-1673BF242D44.jpeg 878DD508-6D21-42B7-B9D2-F41C9A9B0170.jpeg

Last edited:

ntableman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you managing pH and Calcium/Alk?

Even with a good ICP and other metrics you might be having BIG swings overnight. I know it might be a PITA but I'd get a pH probe on some device like a RPi and map this out in near real time and see what is happening. You might be fighting indoor CO2, which has been a bigger problem with people being home so much more.

Also, new salt water can be tough. Ideally mix is in a big trash can and keep it circulating for a day or two before using it. I have no science behind this other than to say that I have observed it is much more dissolved after a solid 12+ hrs of mixing and it is also much more oxygenated.

OP
OP
Wyz1981

Wyz1981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you managing pH and Calcium/Alk?

Even with a good ICP and other metrics you might be having BIG swings overnight. I know it might be a PITA but I'd get a pH probe on some device like a RPi and map this out in near real time and see what is happening. You might be fighting indoor CO2, which has been a bigger problem with people being home so much more.

Also, new salt water can be tough. Ideally mix is in a big trash can and keep it circulating for a day or two before using it. I have no science behind this other than to say that I have observed it is much more dissolved after a solid 12+ hrs of mixing and it is also much more oxygenated.
I am running a trident with DOS. My old tank is still running successfully. I just wanted a bigger tank. The tank is 5 months old now. Not having any swings. My whole system is monitored and controlled with apex. PH is 8 to 8.2

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Did you by chance acclimate them to new tank ?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using bio bricks? Do your other tanks show aluminum or maybe no icp on those?

OP
OP
Wyz1981

Wyz1981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have marine pure block. 8 of the cubes in this tank as I was trying to build the bacteria when it was new. Do not have any in my old tanks. I have since removed it and did water changes

OP
OP
Wyz1981

Wyz1981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have marine pure block. 8 of the cubes in this tank as I was trying to build the bacteria when it was new. Do not have any in my old tanks. I have since removed it and

ntableman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm....stumper. How about lighting? Have you tested the PAR reading at the coral depth? You can rent them from BRS last I knew and when I have done it, I've been shocked how bad my lighting was.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run a polyfilter just in case.

OP
OP
Wyz1981

Wyz1981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Neptune PAR meter active all the time. It has been in slow ramp acclimation mode. I’m sitting at 200 par about ⅔ up my tank at this point.

OP
OP
Wyz1981

Wyz1981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Run a polyfilter just in case.
I just ordered a Poly. Will do that. Thanks. I just wish I know the cause. Maybe the corals are just damaged at this point and won’t bounce back for a while?

darwindiaz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just because it happened to me recently ( not losing but close to it). Have you sprayed any sort of aerosol near your tank or maybe have a scented air freshner plug in near you tank.

Anthony Scholfield

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am i Crazy or is everyone missing the obvious?!

OP says the coral has been doing fine in this new tank for 3-4 months without problem. So what changed?? The OP states an ich outbreak and thus uses Ruby Ich Pro. After using it the problems begun to occur. Seems the use of this product is at fault or the OP did not follow the directions.

I dont know what this stuff contains but just because it says "reef safe" doesnt mean its true.

So im confused on what youre asking here........

OP
OP
Wyz1981

Wyz1981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am i Crazy or is everyone missing the obvious?!

OP says the coral has been doing fine in this new tank for 3-4 months without problem. So what changed?? The OP states an ich outbreak and thus uses Ruby Ich Pro. After using it the problems begun to occur. Seems the use of this product is at fault or the OP did not follow the directions.

I dont know what this stuff contains but just because it says "reef safe" doesnt mean its true.

So im confused on what youre asking here........
Problem is I have researched it and nobody else has had the issue with the treatment. And if it was why after 60 percent of water changes and carbon is things not improving. That’s my concern

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also point to Ruby Ich. Any time you dose anything (regardless of what it is) and you experience problems while using the product, there is a very good chance that is your cause. The frags have been in the tank long enough to not have issues caused by lighting, water chemistry, etc.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this tank a sterile start other than the 8 little cubes and bottled bacteria?

Did you lose fish in the iich outbreak?

What are PO4 and NO3 measures?

OP
OP
Wyz1981

Wyz1981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Was this tank a sterile start other than the 8 little cubes and bottled bacteria?

Did you lose fish in the iich outbreak?

What are PO4 and NO3 measures?
Yes it was a sterile tank start. I have sandbed and rock. Used the blocks to help build a good bio until sand and rock take over. I used micteobactor to start tank. Lost 3 fish to the ich. I should have done my own quarantine but trusted the source as it was supposedly done for me. I tried and tried to catch the fish and treat in separate tank. That’s when I figured I would try this option. Phosphates go up to .10 was the highest. Nitrates at 2.

OP
OP
Wyz1981

Wyz1981

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the tank while first treatments. And I did follow instructions exactly

Attachments

• 29E40878-A4A8-47C2-9463-5EEC99BF5770.jpeg
    29E40878-A4A8-47C2-9463-5EEC99BF5770.jpeg
    199 KB · Views: 42

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 148 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back