Losing Another SPS?

Shy519

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost an acro frag just a week or so ago due to RTN. Turns out it was due to a low temperature. Now I have spotted that my millepora frag is losing some tissue as well. My parameters seem pretty ok but there's definitely something wrong going on here. I also have a small patch missing from my chalice as well. Do I have a parasite in the tank or are my parameters the problem? I know my Ca is on the low side and I've been dosing daily and testing to ensure I am elevating the levels. The tank will the 5 years old this year and is 29 gallons. Parameters are as follows:

Ammonia 0.25
Nitrate 5.0
Nitrite 0
pH 8
Phosphate 0.25
Calcium 380
dKH 8
Magnesium 1230
Temp 78-80
20190313_140537.jpg

ajhudson15

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally it looks like something might be nipping or a pest with the way its just in random places. whats your fish list. and also your alk

dansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lack of stability is a killer... Your temp dropping could be a factor. Your Phosphates are too high... get them down to .05 or slightly less...not zero. The fact that you are also showing Amonia is suggesting something died... or that your having a problem with your denitrifying bacteria colony being able to keep up... Amonia and Nitrite are toxic.. Nitrates below 10 are generally good.

If you think some parasite is in the tank... pull the frags and dip them.

Smaller tanks are more difficult to keep stable. Salinity can also go up and down depending on how your are doing topoff. That too could contribute.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
Shy519

Shy519

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fish list includes a blue damsel, orange spot goby, a scooter bleny, and a bicolor blenny.

After multiple water changes I cannot get the ammonia to go any lower than 0.25 for about a month now. I am not sure if it is just a test error or if something is really wrong. Phosphates have been steadily decreasing since a snail death that lead to a spike in all parameters. I'll have to dose for Mag then.

Is there something I can dip them in? Plain freshwater? I notice that things seem to keep going wrong with SPS in the tank and I think that maybe the lights may be too old to keep SPS. I top off with freshwater and always check salinity several times between 10 minutes and an hour. I ensure that it stays at 0.025

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ammonia reading could be a test kit error. Verify before you chase this.

Or perhaps source water? Have you tested the source water? Or maybe salt mix?

You should be able to balance Alk and Ca with higher mag.

OP
OP
Shy519

Shy519

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or perhaps source water? Have you tested the source water? Or maybe salt mix?

You should be able to balance Alk and Ca with higher mag.
I have tested the the salt and the fresh before adding. I buy it premixed from a local store.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 33 19.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 131 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.5%
Back