Lost half of SPS. Lesson learned after 10 years in reefing...cause and effect. Guess what caused it

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Even after 10 years in reefing I learned a valuable (and expensive) lesson around SPS corals after losing roughly 50% of what I had. The whole thing is quite interesting and a good example of cause and effect so wanted to share.

Background:
So I have a Waterbox 180 documented in the this thread: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/w...nning-after-transfer-eu.986890/#post-11402035
About 70% of stuff was moved from my reefer 350. Some details:

SPS dominated tank with:
Nyos skimmer, T5 + AI LED combo, co2 scrubber, kalkwasser, good quality Carbon in a sock (not reactor), All4Reef, Refugium with Chaeto, Full apex, trident testing, Nitrate 1-2, PO4 0.03, Alk 8, Cal 440, Mag 1400 (measred when the STN had begun).

What happened?:
Tank was doing great for 4-5 months after the move from my reefer 350. Acro's growing well, colors good, was happy. Easy to see growth weekly. Then suddenly I noticed STN from the base on the easier SPS like birdsnest. After roughly 1 month I had lost a baseball sized birdsnest (took me 3 years to grow out) and a very nice pink hystrix that was big as well. Then the other more picky Acros started to STN as well from the base up. Lost quite a few there. I also lost a plate sized green plating Monti (red one was not happy but survived)

Ok taking a step back, what did I change? What exactly did I do that caused this?
Thinking about it, within the last two months I changed the following or had the following incidents which could affect things:

I raised my salinity (34->35ppt)
I increased my LED intensity slightly (65->75%)
I changed from my old spectrum used on the reefer 350 to the AB+ that was easy to set up via the Apex MXM module
I started to tinker a bit with Zeovit. Started with ZeoBak and ZeoFood dosing twice per week
I added 2 pieces of real live rock (imported. Just dropped in tank)
Trouble dialing in Kalkwasser with a few Alk swings (8->10 and 10->8 during a 24 hour period once or twice)
I increased the scheduled for lighting my Chaeto (8->10 hours)
Foxface fish added
Added more Copepods

Which one of the above caused it you think?
Took me roughly 2 weeks to figure it out (with experiments) and tank is now back on track with great growth. It really was a surprise to me even after having quite a few of successful tanks over the years. But one does not start a 'new' tank that often and there's always stuff to learn in this hobby. I find this one to be a textbook example of only changing one thing at a time and observe is no joke. Shall let you know in a few days...

Last edited:

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking the 2 pieces of live rock did a big change on your biome and the corals found the change in a negative manner combined with 2 DKH alk swings over 24 hour period.

OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I shall. Lets give it 24 hours. And I'm very sure about what happened here after experimenting and then adjusting seeing things immediately turn around. Immediately here means 'sps time' so after about a week with the 'change' things just changed and grow started again. STN stopped (except for the corals that were already close to completely white)

Last edited:

DMG Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess would be the lighting changes. I’ve done everything on your list with no impact to my corals. When my birdsnest showed signs of RTN, one of my T-5’s had burned out. I rarely look at my bulbs unless I’m troubleshooting an issue.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess Is led spectrum, intensity
2nd guess zeovit. Don’t know what is in the stuff it is that you dosed but had same experience with AF products

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am pretty sure the issue is the nutrients going away. You were running very low, then increased the lighting and refugium photo period.

SPS need phosphate.
Yes, I agree was already at close to the bare minimum, and if there was any testing air with those readings, he had the actually could be a little lower already, and with the extra light would pull out more

Acrofiend

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Either the zeovit with the carbon dosing (zeobak) or drop in phosphates from the increase fuge light period.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok taking a step back, what did I change? What exactly did I do that caused this?
Thinking about it, within the last two months I changed the following or had the following incidents which could affect things:

I raised my salinity (34->35ppt)
I increased my LED intensity slightly (65->75%)
I changed from my old spectrum used on the reefer 350 to the AB+ that was easy to set up via the Apex MXM module
I started to tinker a bit with Zeovit. Started with ZeoBak and ZeoFood dosing twice per week
Trouble dialing in Kalkwasser with a few Alk swings (8->10 and 10->8 during a 24 hour period once or twice)
I increased the scheduled for lighting my Chaeto (8->10 hours)
You spiked your alk, while simultaneously bottoming your nutrients. Increased light and salinity without a marked increase in flow.

Sounds like something I would have done...

Oh, wait, I did.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I changed from my old spectrum used on the reefer 350 to the AB+ that was easy to set up via the Apex MXM module.

prince harry no GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is a combination of PO4 in the 0.03 range and Alk going from 8 to 10.
From my experience and going through something similar that is the main cause.
The other changes with light and Zeo just poured fuel on fire.

dadnjesse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My guess is the Alkalinity was not the cause, most likely the nutrients and change of lights. Or the live rock.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back