Lost half of SPS. Lesson learned after 10 years in reefing...cause and effect. Guess what caused it

OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are good. And a number of you guessed it. However, as others mentioned it could be a combination of things, but I did revert most of them with no effect, except one.

Let me walk you through it. I find its a very good example of why this hobby is so hard. It's obviously 100% my own fault.

I bought a product that claims to:
Color enhancement by supporting the biology!

Enhances cleaning effecs of bacteria and promotes biology in salt
water tanks. A good and important bio bilm is created within short time.
After a few days the corals react with wonderful coloration!

This is KZ Zeofood. Now there's nothing 'wrong' with this product, but it's a good example of doing something that has an indirect effect that is not immediately obvious and will vary with your setup. And multiple stars have to align for things to go wrong

1) Zeofood is an Amino acid
2) It will eventually turn into Nitrate
3) Prior to this point, my system was Nitrate limited. Meaning low nitrate and a good amount of PO4 (0.08 or so IIRC)
4) Chaeto would grow a bit every night, then stop when Nitrate was too low. Little to no algae (I don't believe in nitrate, but I do believe in available nitrogen through out the day (where chaeto lights are off)
5) Adding Zeofood caused the tables to turn and I became PO4 limited. Now nitrate went up
6) This allowed my Chaeto to grow faster, consuming all PO4 (well down to 0.03, we will get to thatin a sec)
7) My Chaeto then stopped growing again as there was not enough PO4, with Nitrate roughly 2-4 and PO4 0.03
8) But 0.03 should be ok. Lower end for sure, but not STN (at least I haven't had that before)

So why?

Well I use a hobby grade Hanna Ultra Low Phosphate tester. What if it's not accurate. Ok ICP in and PO4 came back at 0.02. In the past, my older testers may also have been inaccurate, but perhaps they measured a bit too low so things were fine as the actual levels would be higher.

So me spending 50 bucks buying an amino acid had the indirect effect of starving my corals of PO4 but was disguised by less than accurate PO4 tester. Trying to do something good did something very bad and cost me 2K in losses. Thats reefing for you

So stopped ZeoFood, and wow I keep PO4 at 0.1 and let nitrate stay low (but feed well to have available nitrogen throughout the day). At the end of the day, Nitrate is very low and chato grows just enough to keep PO4 at the 0.08 - 0.1 levels. I test PO4 much more often now and will use PO4 levels as an indicator of available nitrate. If PO4 gets too low, there's too much nitrate. Or vice versa.

Lesson learned: When you add a new product, sit down for 30min and think through both direct and indirect effects. What does one substance turn into over time and how does that affect other parts of your tank.

Last edited:

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More and more I lean on fish food for all the tanks nutrition. Finding plenty of aminos in good frozen foods, and intentionally staying away from coral foods, unless roids, to raise p04. Sorry to hear of the misfortunes, didn't know that Zeofood was in fact aminos, but makes sense. I believe more people have issues from aminos than reported, thanks for taking the time to share your experience.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I knew it was zeo because I ran into the same issue dosing elimi-np and bacto balance. I am sure those products are great but it causes an imbalance in nutrients for my tank. Each tank is different and different parameters work for different tanks.

OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it can be very tricky adding a product and then try to figure out what exactly it does to the entire ecosystem end to end. I agree, dosing less product, but feeding more may be best path for the majority of us.

OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I also learned is when chaeto stops growing due to not enough PO4, it also means there's not enough for corals and other animals. For No3 that is not true as there is usually nitrogen in the tank througout the day.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going with: bad luck.

Not having po4 does not kill corals instantly, or even over a short amount of time. The acropora can keep meta/poly phosphates from fish waste to be used later. The acorpora also recycle phosphorous to keep the symbionts/zoox able to reproduce and replace themselves. A lack of phosphorous would limit growth, not cause death, at least not for a longer while. Besides, po4 is just one form of phosphorous available in a tank and perhaps the least used by acropora.

Phosphorus is not food. The corals do not need it for daily function. They need it to grow new organic tissue. Your issue with not likely anything to do with po4. If you had a total phosphorous test kit then you might have more info, but my guess is that your total P would be something along the lines of 4-6x what you measured for po4 alone.

In the end, I have no idea what caused this but it was not likely po4.

Also, doing part of Zeo has been bad news in the past. Buy in and do it all or don't do anything. Picking and choosing has caused issues for many folks. Some of this is because TM is not transparent about what is what, so you just either have to trust them 100% with their black box or just stay away.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sure does. But sometimes you have to do something in order to maintain it and the consequences are not always obvious. Here it could have been avoided by simply not touching the tank though. Lesson learned.
Certainly you must adjust chemistry when necessary.
And the least times we have to do that, the better.
It’s hard to resist just that one last change in the hopes of better extension and growth.
When it’s water chemistry is pinned, sit back and enjoy.
Good luck.

ptrusk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, doing part of Zeo has been bad news in the past. Buy in and do it all or don't do anything. Picking and choosing has caused issues for many folks.
Been there have the T shirt.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are good. And a number of you guessed it. However, as others mentioned it could be a combination of things, but I did revert most of them with no effect, except one.

Let me walk you through it. I find its a very good example of why this hobby is so hard. It's obviously 100% my own fault.

I bought a product that claims to:
Color enhancement by supporting the biology!

Enhances cleaning effecs of bacteria and promotes biology in salt
water tanks. A good and important bio bilm is created within short time.
After a few days the corals react with wonderful coloration!

This is KZ Zeofood. Now there's nothing 'wrong' with this product, but it's a good example of doing something that has an indirect effect that is not immediately obvious and will vary with your setup. And multiple stars have to align for things to go wrong

1) Zeofood is an Amino acid
2) It will eventually turn into Nitrate
3) Prior to this point, my system was Nitrate limited. Meaning low nitrate and a good amount of PO4 (0.08 or so IIRC)
4) Chaeto would grow a bit every night, then stop when Nitrate was too low. Little to no algae (I don't believe in nitrate, but I do believe in available nitrogen through out the day (where chaeto lights are off)
5) Adding Zeofood caused the tables to turn and I became PO4 limited. Now nitrate went up
6) This allowed my Chaeto to grow faster, consuming all PO4 (well down to 0.03, we will get to thatin a sec)
7) My Chaeto then stopped growing again as there was not enough PO4, with Nitrate roughly 2-4 and PO4 0.03
8) But 0.03 should be ok. Lower end for sure, but not STN (at least I haven't had that before)

So why?

Well I use a hobby grade Hanna Ultra Low Phosphate tester. What if it's not accurate. Ok ICP in and PO4 came back at 0.02. In the past, my older testers may also have been inaccurate, but perhaps they measured a bit too low so things were fine as the actual levels would be higher.

So me spending 50 bucks buying an amino acid had the indirect effect of starving my corals of PO4 but was disguised by less than accurate PO4 tester. Trying to do something good did something very bad and cost me 2K in losses. Thats reefing for you

So stopped ZeoFood, and wow I keep PO4 at 0.1 and let nitrate stay low (but feed well to have available nitrogen throughout the day). At the end of the day, Nitrate is very low and chato grows just enough to keep PO4 at the 0.08 - 0.1 levels. I test PO4 much more often now and will use PO4 levels as an indicator of available nitrate. If PO4 gets too low, there's too much nitrate. Or vice versa.

Lesson learned: When you add a new product, sit down for 30min and think through both direct and indirect effects. What does one substance turn into over time and how does that affect other parts of your tank.
I think zeo (amino acids), but not for lowering po4.
I had rtn/stn on staghorn when i started red sea ab+. Feeding aminos feeds all bacteria, good and bad. The ab+ upset some balance or caused 'bad' bacteria to get a chance to take hold. This happened twice. Was able to save the staghorn thru fragging.
My po4 is always above 0.15.
I think this was your root cause.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeo is a heavy-in, heavy-out system with some minerals, metals and other black-box things to change colors. Doing just the heavy-out without the heavy-in could be troublesome... and vice versa. They used to use heavy metals like Zinc in excess to kill zoox to make colors contrast more, but this is a fine line if you do not export and the metals build up.

I am sure that you all know how much I dislike BRS videos, but they kinda nailed the Zeo one... tons of available nutrients being introduced, low residual value on test kits and have to do it 100% all of the time.

OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going with: bad luck.

Not having po4 does not kill corals instantly, or even over a short amount of time. The acropora can keep meta/poly phosphates from fish waste to be used later. The acorpora also recycle phosphorous to keep the symbionts/zoox able to reproduce and replace themselves. A lack of phosphorous would limit growth, not cause death, at least not for a longer while. Besides, po4 is just one form of phosphorous available in a tank and perhaps the least used by acropora.

Phosphorus is not food. The corals do not need it for daily function. They need it to grow new organic tissue. Your issue with not likely anything to do with po4. If you had a total phosphorous test kit then you might have more info, but my guess is that your total P would be something along the lines of 4-6x what you measured for po4 alone.

In the end, I have no idea what caused this but it was not likely po4.

Also, doing part of Zeo has been bad news in the past. Buy in and do it all or don't do anything. Picking and choosing has caused issues for many folks. Some of this is because TM is not transparent about what is what, so you just either have to trust them 100% with their black box or just stay away.

I would argue against this. Not having PO4 will kill corals in my humble opinion. In fact it will kill most life. At least I've seen it multiple times. But it's hard to know when you don't have any PO4. Measuring daily and getting a 0 reading does not mean there's no PO4 for the corals at times at least. We hear it all the time...I have 0 PO4 and lots of algae..

OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zeo is a heavy-in, heavy-out system with some minerals, metals and other black-box things to change colors. Doing just the heavy-out without the heavy-in could be troublesome... and vice versa. They used to use heavy metals like Zinc in excess to kill zoox to make colors contrast more, but this is a fine line if you do not export and the metals build up.

I am sure that you all know how much I dislike BRS videos, but they kinda nailed the Zeo one... tons of available nutrients being introduced, low residual value on test kits and have to do it 100% all of the time.

Yeah seems like it. But I kind of happy with the NO3 vs PO4 relation ship I now understand better (or have a newly fround respect for):

You have chaeto with good lights
You add x amounts of NO3 and PO4
One will bottom before the other. You'd want NO3 to bottom and not PO4. Ie. you wan't to be NO3 limited. NO3 is often just leftover nitrogen and there could have been plenty of nitrogen during the day when you feed well (this is simplified I know)
If you add extra NO3 (amino acids) PO4 will bottom first. That is bad.

chipchipbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience with zeo, if you’re going to using their products you will have to drastically increase your feeding to prevent your nutrients from bottoming out.

Well, I can relate!
I am dosing ZeoBak and FlatWorm Stop plus I tried AcroGlow. I am also using Zeolith passively in a media basket with some siporax.

I have not tested my system alot lately as it was pretty stable. 3 or 4 days ago I tested it randomly and saw 0.01 po4 :O usually its 0.08
and only 1.1 no3 (usually its around 10)

So, I have to add no3 and po4.. I also increased the amount of fish.

ZeoBak seems to be strong stuff! I use np bacto balance aswell..

now the question is.. what do I do? Cant raise po4 and no3 daily with a liquid solution…..

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The alk swing. Just happened to me recently and it affected my dragon sps. Luckily it was just a couple bottom branches and then stopped. SPS HATE sudden alk swings.

OP
OP
K

Kato

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I can relate!
I am dosing ZeoBak and FlatWorm Stop plus I tried AcroGlow. I am also using Zeolith passively in a media basket with some siporax.

I have not tested my system alot lately as it was pretty stable. 3 or 4 days ago I tested it randomly and saw 0.01 po4 :O usually its 0.08
and only 1.1 no3 (usually its around 10)

So, I have to add no3 and po4.. I also increased the amount of fish.

ZeoBak seems to be strong stuff! I use np bacto balance aswell..

now the question is.. what do I do? Cant raise po4 and no3 daily with a liquid solution…..

Based on what I experienced, you would want to take care of the low PO4 ASAP. Just my 2c. NO3 I would care less about if you feed well.

Also you can raise PO4 daily with a liquid solution (I'm doing it via Neptune DOS).

Last edited:

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would argue against this. Not having PO4 will kill corals in my humble opinion. In fact it will kill most life.

I don't think that there is a single organism alive that needs phosphate po4 - they need phosphorous P. There are many sources of phosphorous in a reef tank and phosphate is just one of them. There are also many kinds of phosphate and most of us can only test for one of them - orthophosphate.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back