LOST POWER IN NY - Need Suggestions

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd tell the HOA to kiss my butt, because that cord would be run.
Yepp whatever note they send or fine they hand out wouldn't compair to the cost of livestock lost. And technical I'd fight that as "life support" in an "emergency" situation not something you'd do daily ;)

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say run the cord do not let uneducated people that think they know what they think is right run your life let them know that the rules they make have to be broken now and then in order to keep essential coral life.coral lives matter!

4D4C2EC2-4C8D-4FB5-9A61-21BA3FB87BCE.jpeg

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I do not think the tank as a fish or coral tank i think my tank is more a microcosm and although I may have to intervene at times my little 15 gallon tank seems to doing very well I have many small feather duster worms, small brittle stars, very small white snails,hair worms asterina star fish, bristleworms, 2 sexy shrimp, small hermit crabs and one fish.

4FF708F7-F0E6-4D2B-A185-4DB486DB0498.jpeg

OP
OP
Alanna102499

Alanna102499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say run the cord do not let uneducated people that think they know what they think is right run your life let them know that the rules they make have to be broken now and then in order to keep essential coral life.coral lives matter!

4D4C2EC2-4C8D-4FB5-9A61-21BA3FB87BCE.jpeg

LOVE IT... CLM!
F7E4092E-9D41-46EC-8CB5-36F99EE27E39.gif

reefiniteasy

Check me out on IG!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can’t run a cord as per HOA... I am doing all of the above. Was up all night just heard may not be up till Sunday... Smell coming from sump... Trying to stay positive but this knock me out of the game after 4 months and a ton of $$$. Sad.

The HOA will not get on you for running a cord in an emergency. If your out of power, I’m sure everyone is and no one will give you trouble over it. And worst case scenario, they send you a warning letter.

OP
OP
Alanna102499

Alanna102499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The HOA will not get on you for running a cord in an emergency. If your out of power, I’m sure everyone is and no one will give you trouble over it. And worst case scenario, they send you a warning letter.
LOL you don’t know my Board and neighbors!

No need to run a cord, I checked local laws and since there is a power outage I can run a generator 24/7 until the power comes back on! So my sons friend dropped one off to me late last night! Tank is back to normal, minus a couple snail losses!

PS. Already had neighbors and the board come knock on my door and complain. Saying they were going to call the cops... I said hold on I will for you! The police told them the law! So now I was gonna be a nice neighbor and shut it down from 10PM - 8AM... But now they get it all night long!!

creativeballance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL you don’t know my Board and neighbors!

No need to run a cord, I checked local laws and since there is a power outage I can run a generator 24/7 until the power comes back on! So my sons friend dropped one off to me late last night! Tank is back to normal, minus a couple snail losses!

PS. Already had neighbors and the board come knock on my door and complain. Saying they were going to call the cops... I said hold on I will for you! The police told them the law! So now I was gonna be a nice neighbor and shut it down from 10PM - 8AM... But now they get it all night long!!

Tell them if they don't like it, then get their own generator. Karen's get angry when someone has/does something they want.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally got power back at 6:30pm. I had the advantage that my tank is going fallow anyway so other than 2 shrimp, anemones, and snails/crabs, I had minimal livestock in my display. My fish are all in the garage in a Rubbermaid bin. I had some battery airstones (got them after I lost all except one of my cichlids to a power outage while on vacation) and was lucky enough to snag a generator that I ran their canister filter with. I didn't feed for the 2 days. As far as I can tell, no losses. The display basically went though a 2 day blackout, which helped my dino issue considering I was on day two of the elegant corals method. I kept the display going with the icecap battery backups. They supposedly are supposed to last 36 hours, they didn't even last 12 hours with my wavemakers set to the lowest setting. Otherwise kept windows open and the garage door open a bit. But I learned the hard way that the icecap battery backups are garbage. Definitely got lucky with the generator.

Trivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to justify the expense to the wife...
Should be simple to do, but it isnt...

Add up the replacement cost of your fridge. All those items add up fast, most Will have over $400, worth of food. buy big enough for that. If that fails, say you’ll be able to run the hairdryer. Hahah. Worked for me when I was buying my 2nd generator, a Honda 7000. When it was it to get a whole house it was just get it done.

rc1626

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long Islander here as well. Still running my portable generator round the clock since 3:30 Tuesday. Irene, Sandy and now Isaias. Each storm left my family and I with multiple days without power. Bought it for my tank but it supplies power to central AC, pool pump, refrigerators, boiler and many other creature comforts. Have gone through quite a few gallons of gas but in the end the cost is way less than what would have been lost with the tank and as noted in the previous post spoiled food.

Everyone with a tank should have some sort of backup power especially if you're in a area prone to power outages. As mentioned it does not need to be a generator. An inverter or battery backup of some sort to keep circulation and temp is all you need. Good luck to everyone still dealing with this power outage. Hope it comes back soon for all of us.

OP
OP
Alanna102499

Alanna102499

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife just said, before the next storm go get a generator powerful enough to do the whole house AC included... Now that I know no one can complain in my condo complex it’s a done deal!

Trivan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife just said, before the next storm go get a generator powerful enough to do the whole house AC included... Now that I know no one can complain in my condo complex it’s a done deal!

Awesome, but careful about the AC requirement. I see you are in a condo, "portable" such as the largest Honda 7000 will put a lot of start up load on it. You just need to run the numbers to see what is needed. You can always chain the hondas together to get 14K watts of power!!

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 29 16.7%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back