Lots of learns

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reflecting on the lessons leant since I entered reefing. My LFS had a Reefer 170 display tank that looked great - so the simple thing, in my mind, was to replicate it from an equipment perspective. In truth they did what I asked, however, it might have been helpful if they had told me of some upgrades they intended to make as there were some things they were having problems with - and these were to be problems I too experienced.
The lighting system they sold me was highly adjustable and opinions, when asking and looking on forums, was immense which only helped to confuse a poor newbie. So new lighting was eventual bought (Redsea) which I’m very happy with.
The skimmer, whilst having ‘pro’ in its title, was impossible to get to consistently perform. The problem with skimmers is you can’t try them out - so I upgraded but the first replacement was too noisy and had to change yet again. Now have a NYOS which has been great.
Let me say I do loads of research on everything but opinions are so hard to judge - what one person thinks is acceptable another person may not.
Next on my list was a reactor. By now I had found a LFS where I had great confidence in the advice. A H2Ocean was recommended and has done the job well (albeit I find Rowaphos somewhat messy).
Needless to say equipment has cost me a fair amount as even selling something that is relatively new still has to be reduced in price to be attractive to a purchaser.
Moving onto corals - I excitedly bought ‘beginner’ corals which I had researched but, perhaps, hadn’t quite focused on some of the downsides I.e. toadstools reproducing like no tomorrow and Xenia almost growing as you watched it.
The toadstools are still present but kept at bay - every time you remove one another takes its place as it’s hard to completely eradicate. The Xenia was on an island so was easier to deal with.
Fortunately the latter LFS, referred to earlier, stocks a vast amount of corals so I’ve not many issues for some time. Naturally as things grow you have to move them further away, from other corals, to avoid a fight.
Another error - I did buy a coral online and introduced aiptasia - I don’t have the facilities for quarantining (and my LFS tanks are well kept and they dip their corals) - so this online purchase was complacent.
I tried a couple of the chemical solutions but, again, you dealt with one and another would appear.
The aiptasia was limited to my zoa island (it came on a zoa) so in the end I fragged some and threw the island away before they had a chance to spread like wildfire. In the main tank this has worked as no others have appeared. However, I did find a couple in my overflow - these have been dealt with, but, who knows if another will show up. I’ve come to the conclusion that as long as you deal with these types of problem straight away then they don’t get out of hand.
Touch wood I don’t seem to have any bristleworm, or the like, in the tank - I regularly check with infrared and am sure I would see something if it were there.
A recent ACP test showed everything was great - this was a second test. The first had encouraged me to buy a doser (Redsea) albeit such things as iodine are added manually in small amounts. The only issue was with my self produced RO water (too much silicon).
My LFS, after questioning me, suggested I might not be keeping my de ionisation pod wet so I’ve added small taps to the three inlets/outlets so I can trap the water in the pod. My RO unit isn’t plumbed in.
I intend to do another ICP test in the new year and am expecting a clean bill of health - fingers crossed.
Haven’t mentioned much about the fish and invertebrates - but I’ve had the same fish (bar one bought recently) for over two years now. The only ‘issue’ being an occasional comment from the ‘Tang Police’.
In summary - I did loads of research, watched loads of videos and sought loads of advice. I was patient with my cycling and the addition of livestock. However, I still seem to learn something on a regular basis.
My encouragement would be to buy the best equipment you can afford and try and find a strong point of reference - I listen to loads of opinions but tend to pass them by my LFS man for clarification and haven’t been steered wrong to date. Above all have patience.
I don’t regret the switch, from malawis, to reef keeping but it isn’t a hobby for the faint hearted imo and does require a fair amount of financial back up (albeit I do like my gadgets (i.e Hanna checkers) ) - if something were to happen to me I can only hope my wife wouldn’t sell everything for the money she thinks it cost!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mark Bradley

Mark Bradley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A picture of my tank

Attachments

• AFD1C72A-DF83-44E8-9127-02931D05BE65.jpeg
    AFD1C72A-DF83-44E8-9127-02931D05BE65.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 21

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 23 15.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 71 47.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 48 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back