Memories of Bad Lighting, etc.

KenRexford

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have the absolute top tier of lighting, but my AI Primes work just fine. That said, having been in this hobby for over 20 years now, I was just remembering how truly awful my lighting used to be. I started with lay-on-top basic hood lights on my 125, the ones like you get in a kid's instant tank for goldfish or guppies at Walmart. Maybe something like the Marineland perfect-a-strip. That was actually recommended by a lfs. Then, I went all in and got a second set. Then, I had some left over from some other tank and had three rows on top of my glass aquarium top, all producing nearly useless light. While it was bright, sort of, it was really yellow, and nothing survived. Green star polyps lasted a week before melting. Fish were fine, except for their eyesight.

Then, I found out about compact fluorescents and grabbed the big old unit with all of the above in one unit, precariously perched on my tank with stupid "legs" that wobbled and often broke. I was at least able to switch to screen top, but I was constantly afraid that this thing would fall in the tank. Removing it for any reason was crazy difficult. But, I at least managed to keep those cute little glass anemones alive. I still haven't fixed that mistake.

Finally, on to real lighting, with softies all the way to sticks thriving (along with those old friends that just won't leave).

So many insane mistakes from the past, from horrible pet store protein skimmers, to adding a lunare wrasse with about eight fire shrimp (expensive meal), to a sump I didn't know why I had, to spaghetti monster wiring dangling into that random tiny sump, to dosing tons of kalkwasser despite having no corals, to buying a cute little unicorn tang that grew to ridiculous size, to a million other insane things. So many overflowed tanks. So many murdered invertebrates, corals, and wrong fish. So many "Why is Daddy yelling and swearing, Mommy?"

It feels good to finally have this thing figured out.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last light was a DIY copper, water cooled thing and my algae scrubber was the same thing,
It had a radiator and water pump. Worked great.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad you skipped the first iteration of marine LEDs. They were just blue and white and they were horrible - the whites would burn coral if you turned them up nearly at all. They were like $5k for a panel to cover a 48" tank. I cannot even remember who made them now. The later blue and whites like Orbit, AI Sol, etc. were MUCH better. These early LEDs could not grow coral at all. Remember some locals bought them thinking that they would never have to buy lights again and they all replaced them within a year - you could not sell them for anything, so most just put their old light back on at a complete loss.

I had a reef tank with mushrooms, a red brain, colt corals, some polyps, etc. I had dual strips from Oceanic maybe at 100 PAR - they were likely driven a bit harder than most NO lights. VHO was a huge upgrade but you had to wire yourself - could keep anything with VHO.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I started my reef journey, lighting was one thing I focused on having enough. I put a DIY 175 watt MH over a 38 gallon, I did start cheap with the 5500k bulb and added actinic PC to the mix within a year.

My current tank that I started in 2010, still ran three PC on it and grew softies and some LPS fine for several years.

T5 and LED for about 8 years.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used HO and VHO early on. Then used HQI metal halide light systems from Hamilton, and some imported units from Germany. So easy to use in comparison to LED. Kind have missed the simplicity.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I remember back in the 80's when I used to balance as many 40 watt fluorescent tubes over a tank as I could.
Then I found out about VHO. Then metal halide, but I hated those first ( and only ) 65k bulbs that I had available to me.
What I miss now is the HQI ballast with 250 watt Radium bulbs.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, pc to VHO and NO, Uri had an Aqua D blue I think it was, 40w. That bulb was insane blue, as I recall. Then on to T5 and other diy, projects. Ahh the big day Rapid LED Royal blue and cool whites. Still have a pile of the cw somewhere unless they got tossed. The 1050ma meanwell drivers are long gone. Still diy LED, halides, and T5 still in garage just in case. Not ready to go all led.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back