Lots of nice stickies; just wondering!?

AJreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of camera should a beginner look into getting? I would like something that can grow with an increasing knowledge while not being impossible for someone new to photography to use.
I also have a three year old so if it could take videos that would be great as well!!

P.S. I was thinking something like a Cannon Rebel

mfdrookie516

Certified Redneck
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been very happy with my T3i.... so much that I've gotten in to photography in a big way and set up a studio in my basement for taking pictures of my son. I didn't have much experience with a camera before getting my T3i in February, but I'm very happy with many of the photos I've taken. I bought a T3i, Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro, and Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. Since then, I've purchased a 5D and looking at getting a 50mm f/1.4 and 70-200mm f/2.8 IS.

The T3i takes video, though I have never used it (that's why I have a video camera)... If you think you may become more interested in photography, looking in to a 60D may be something you want to do as well. The T3i takes just as good of a picture, but the 60D does have more controls making it more of a 'pro-sumer' model as opposed to the T3i being more of an entry level model.

Here's a picture I took with my T3i and macro lens the other day for the POTM contest (remember... about 3 months experience here) -

POTM - Favia by mfdrookie516, on Flickr

Poseidon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go with a DSLR by Canon or Nikon. Stop by a camera shop/Best Buy and compare the functions and how to change modes, like ISO, Aperture Priority, etc. Whichever of the 2 makes more sense to you, buy that one. I suggest that you stay away from the "other guys" as they have no where near the lens selection, OR the ease of use that Canon and Nikon offer.

Good luck with your research, and if you find that you have a specific question about a camera, don't hesitate to post it up.

Ace25

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
A

AJreefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been very happy with my T3i.... so much that I've gotten in to photography in a big way and set up a studio in my basement for taking pictures of my son. I didn't have much experience with a camera before getting my T3i in February, but I'm very happy with many of the photos I've taken. I bought a T3i, Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro, and Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8. Since then, I've purchased a 5D and looking at getting a 50mm f/1.4 and 70-200mm f/2.8 IS.

The T3i takes video, though I have never used it (that's why I have a video camera)... If you think you may become more interested in photography, looking in to a 60D may be something you want to do as well. The T3i takes just as good of a picture, but the 60D does have more controls making it more of a 'pro-sumer' model as opposed to the T3i being more of an entry level model.

Here's a picture I took with my T3i and macro lens the other day for the POTM contest (remember... about 3 months experience here) -

POTM - Favia by mfdrookie516, on Flickr

I would go with a DSLR by Canon or Nikon. Stop by a camera shop/Best Buy and compare the functions and how to change modes, like ISO, Aperture Priority, etc. Whichever of the 2 makes more sense to you, buy that one. I suggest that you stay away from the "other guys" as they have no where near the lens selection, OR the ease of use that Canon and Nikon offer.

Good luck with your research, and if you find that you have a specific question about a camera, don't hesitate to post it up.
solid advice; i really do need to go get my hands on a few different camera s before i make a decision. I am not worried about the latest and greatest I just don't want any buyers remorse.. Thanks

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 30 36.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 11 13.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 14 16.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back