Loud aquaclear filter? Anyone else have this issue?

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I’ve been using an aquaclear 70 on my saltwater tank, and it makes a lot of noise. The motor seems to be rattling a lot and making a lot of noise that is really annoying. I’ve seen videos of people adding lubricant or petroleum jelly or something on the impeller shaft inside the motor to stop the noise. Does this work? Are there any other solutions to this problem?

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
so I’ve been using an aquaclear 70 on my saltwater tank, and it makes a lot of noise. The motor seems to be rattling a lot and making a lot of noise that is really annoying. I’ve seen videos of people adding lubricant or petroleum jelly or something on the impeller shaft inside the motor to stop the noise. Does this work? Are there any other solutions to this problem?

How old is the filter? Have you tried to disassemble and reassemble to make sure that it is put together correctly? Is the rubber cap in place on the end of the impeller shaft? Is it possible that the impeller needs to be replaced? Personally I would be wary of lubricants unless they specifically say that they are fish/reef safe.

OP
OP
Leon Gorani

Leon Gorani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is the filter? Have you tried to disassemble and reassemble to make sure that it is put together correctly? Is the rubber cap in place on the end of the impeller shaft? Is it possible that the impeller needs to be replaced? Personally I would be wary of lubricants unless they specifically say that they are fish/reef safe.
It’s a brand new one, I just bought it and it is already making noises

JonoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure the impeller isn't broken. I ordered one of amazon and it came in brand new with a shatter impeller. It was making tons of noise and when I took it apart realized why...

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 46 58.2%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 22 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back