Loud Overflow Advice From Waterbox

Kal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a Waterbox Platinum 130.4 and the overflow is crazy loud. I asked Waterbox if they sell anyting to dampen this (like a stockman pipe) and they told me to close the ball valve on my main drain until water is coming through the safety drain instead. The term "safety drain" makes me think I should only have water coming through that in an emergency. By defaulting my drain to that one, am I setting myself up for failure should an emergency actually happen?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the emergency is left full open, in a real emergency, you should be just fine.
Tuning the return pump is my personal way of quieting a noisy drain as I don't like the idea of choking off a drain line.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer to choke the drain rather than listen to it.

If all the water from my return pump can go down a drain with a valve half closed except for a tiny bit I am sure all of it can go down the second one with no valve if it needs to.

OP
OP
K

Kal

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all, I went ahead and turned the valve about 45%. Big difference

TheresaBrant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a Waterbox Platinum 130.4 and the overflow is crazy loud. I asked Waterbox if they sell anyting to dampen this (like a stockman pipe) and they told me to close the ball valve on my main drain until water is coming through the safety drain instead. The term "safety drain" makes me think I should only have water coming through that in an emergency. By defaulting my drain to that one, am I setting myself up for failure should an emergency actually happen?
Iam going through the same thing thats why I bought Waterbox because I was told it silent did you have any luck

Poof No Eyebrows

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is extremely common on any tank with this style of overflow. The sweet spot seems to be where the returns water level is just high enough that a very small amount goes down the secondary drain line. How you get there is a matter of personal preference

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 67 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.1%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back