Loud Sicce return pump

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished up plumbing my basement sump to my tank upstairs tonight. Everything has been running a few hours now. When Im in the basement by the sump I the return pump does not sound that loud. My tank is directly above where my sump is 1 floor up. When I am upstairs that return pump is LOUD. I can go up to the 2nd floor and still hear it. Its a loud hum. Only thing I can think of is I have it plumbed with pvc and have brackets mounted to my joists and beams and the vibrations are transferring through the house. I never really heard anything like it. The pump is a Sicce SDC 9.0.

Any suggestions? I need to do something about it, its way too loud. Im not sure if rubber lined pipe brackets would help enough.

DonTavo27

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you use pipe isolators on the pipe from where it goes through different floors.
A lot of times the pipes vibrate when going through wood without isolators.

7DC38D77-BC2E-43B7-A890-3C34026EF0D3.png
54E5F703-AA38-4EAD-A273-281D25B22F7F.png

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sicce pumps are usually quite noisy until they run in.

Took my Sicce Silent took about 2-3 weeks to live up to its name.

OP
OP
11f150

11f150

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after talking to a few people I have to put in a piece of silicone tube coming out of the pump to deaden the vibration through the pvc. I completely forgot about doing that.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just finished up plumbing my basement sump to my tank upstairs tonight. Everything has been running a few hours now. When Im in the basement by the sump I the return pump does not sound that loud. My tank is directly above where my sump is 1 floor up. When I am upstairs that return pump is LOUD. I can go up to the 2nd floor and still hear it. Its a loud hum. Only thing I can think of is I have it plumbed with pvc and have brackets mounted to my joists and beams and the vibrations are transferring through the house. I never really heard anything like it. The pump is a Sicce SDC 9.0.

Any suggestions? I need to do something about it, its way too loud. Im not sure if rubber lined pipe brackets would help enough.
I have the same pump set up the same way.
I used braided hose to connect to the pump, at least 12" and used braided hose for the return. Made it much quieter.

Greg Gdowski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those pipe isolators are cool. I've never seen them.
I ran a SDC 9 on my 90G for about 4yrs. It always sounded like a train in the house. I had it connected to the piping with about 2ft of large silicone tubing. I dangled it in the sump. Nothing ever helped me with that pump. I was getting about 450G/hr out of it. I think I probably had about 15ft of head on that system.

I've since taken down that tank. I use a much cheaper pump from amazon.... it is dead silent and I get about 850G/hr out of it. I also have a larger pipe running this time (1.5"). What size pipe are you using? I suspect that may have helped had I used a larger return pipe. I had a 1" pipe and if I were to do that again I would have used at least 1.25".

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back