Loud sump

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After some time and family matters, I have slowly gotten my 150PA up and running.
That said, my sump drains are loud as all get out. Louder than anything else on the system and is driving me bananas.
I have the Ice Cap 36, which has 2, 1" drains with overflow into the sock holder chamber. Which is where all of the noise is coming from.

Does anyone have a fix to quiet this sucker down?
the drain tubes are as came with the sump, so I didn't do any cutting of there length, nor am I sure that it would do any good.

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of loud? Slurping? Bubbling? The type of noise will help in figuring out a solution.

OP
OP
vertigo01

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Neither to be honest. It sounds like a drain that is constantly draining, until the filter socks get somewhat clogged, then all is well.
Butttt, as soon as I wash the socks out, the danged noise comes back. If I leave the sock's out, the noise is 100x's worse. So that is not an option.

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the ability to dial back your drain line? It sounds like your pipes are in a constant partial syphon which is what creates the "draining" noise. Do you have easy access to a picture?

Pivitol

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your drain's "splash down" or do you have pvc tubes extending below the water line?

OP
OP
vertigo01

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have the ability to dial back your drain line? It sounds like your pipes are in a constant partial syphon which is what creates the "draining" noise. Do you have easy access to a picture?

I have it set up so that 1 drain is a full siphon and the other is an emergency back up.
I do have it set up with a ball valve ( I know, I know ) for the time being, my plans are to redo this section of plumbing at a later date and use a gate valve.
Ball valve are a pain in the crotch to adjust, as well they aren't constant in the flowability ( Is that even a word?) so I have it fully open.

IMHO, the noise is coming from the water draining into the twin filter sock compartments. However I am half deaf, so it could be coming from the initial drain pipe.

I will post a pic in the morning, when I do my morning wake up routine.

OP
OP
vertigo01

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do your drain's "splash down" or do you have pvc tubes extending below the water line?

Drain lines extend well below the water line, like almost touching the bottom of the sump. They are also cut on a 45 ( factory ), I am assuming so as to relieve some pressure as the water exits.

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silly R2R double posting machine.

Last edited:

Ty Hamatake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have it set up so that 1 drain is a full siphon and the other is an emergency back up.
I do have it set up with a ball valve ( I know, I know ) for the time being, my plans are to redo this section of plumbing at a later date and use a gate valve.
Ball valve are a pain in the crotch to adjust, as well they aren't constant in the flowability ( Is that even a word?) so I have it fully open.

IMHO, the noise is coming from the water draining into the twin filter sock compartments. However I am half deaf, so it could be coming from the initial drain pipe.

I will post a pic in the morning, when I do my morning wake up routine.
Strange for sure. I'm just about stumped!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 1" siphon full open will move a ton of water. If your ball valve is truly fully open then I'd guess you don't have a siphon, rather a mix of water and air.

OP
OP
vertigo01

vertigo01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it figured out.
Like I stated, I just set up the new tank (late last week) and hadn't installed the ATO, as I was trying to get more important things taken care of. Like adding sand, rock scape, Apex. You know, the good stuff.

Soo, last night, I was messing about with the sump installing said ATO and decided to raise the weir between the skimmer and return section.
Wouldn't you know it, that by raising said weir, it also raised the water level in the filter sock compartment and Voila, all is quiet on the home front.

Thanks to all who have tried to help this idiot out.
It's time to close this chapter and on to another reefing misadventure.

alex.mccann99

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to have the PVC extending all the way into the sump, mine goes about 3 inches under the water. If you have a hole drilled at the top it will be quiet. You might also have the pump running to strong. If I run mine full power it gurgles. I run my Carbon Reactor off my return line so I just open that valve more and it slows down the return water.

Tyler White

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it figured out.
Like I stated, I just set up the new tank (late last week) and hadn't installed the ATO, as I was trying to get more important things taken care of. Like adding sand, rock scape, Apex. You know, the good stuff.

Soo, last night, I was messing about with the sump installing said ATO and decided to raise the weir between the skimmer and return section.
Wouldn't you know it, that by raising said weir, it also raised the water level in the filter sock compartment and Voila, all is quiet on the home front.

Thanks to all who have tried to help this idiot out.
It's time to close this chapter and on to another reefing misadventure.
Old thread but helped me out tonight on my first fill using this sump and stressing about the noise!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back