Love at first sight? Clownfish spawning

Justanotherfishweirdo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if you could help me out. I’ve got a pair of clowns who have only been together for a few days. The boy we’ve had for about 3 weeks I am fairly sure he’s still a juvenile and the girl came from an established tank where she’s lived alone for a few years with a trigger fish. Backstory done.

The very first day I put them together he was doing this dance for her. And then the next morning I found a clutch of eggs on the glass of the display tank. They are all white except one which is dark. Day 3 now. I’m growing baby brines for them just incase but I think it’s an infertile clutch, cause from what I’ve read online they should have been orange? Both parents especially the boy are constantly tending the eggs. And are very defensive of that whole end of the tank.

Being that they’re on the glass I can’t take them out...
but moving forward, would it be best to set up a spawning tank for this pair?
Will they be likely to spawn again soon?
will it be distressing for them if I move them now and take them away from their eggs?
Are the eggs white because I have a young male? Or?
Are the eggs fertilised after laying or before?
Day 3 now and no visible change to the eggs.

I’m new to saltwater but have been breeding freshwater since I was 17 (I’m 32) I would like to try my hand at clownfish breeding and I have a few spare smaller tanks so why not I guess.

C5EFC54F-5200-496B-B6F4-B20AC24DCE3A.jpeg 09882D7C-F855-4F7A-9955-32BEF3467634.jpeg 55A6D23F-78AB-4E1C-B893-E502FD3D8227.jpeg

Spaceshrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if you could help me out. I’ve got a pair of clowns who have only been together for a few days. The boy we’ve had for about 3 weeks I am fairly sure he’s still a juvenile and the girl came from an established tank where she’s lived alone for a few years with a trigger fish. Backstory done.

The very first day I put them together he was doing this dance for her. And then the next morning I found a clutch of eggs on the glass of the display tank. They are all white except one which is dark. Day 3 now. I’m growing baby brines for them just incase but I think it’s an infertile clutch, cause from what I’ve read online they should have been orange? Both parents especially the boy are constantly tending the eggs. And are very defensive of that whole end of the tank.

will it be distressing for them if I move them now and take them away from their eggs?
Are the eggs fertilised after laying or before?

I’m new to saltwater but have been breeding freshwater since I was 17 (I’m 32) I would like to try my hand at clownfish breeding and I have a few spare smaller tanks so why not I guess.

C5EFC54F-5200-496B-B6F4-B20AC24DCE3A.jpeg 09882D7C-F855-4F7A-9955-32BEF3467634.jpeg 55A6D23F-78AB-4E1C-B893-E502FD3D8227.jpeg
I would say they are not fertalized because of how young the male is

sabeypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
***its Possible.
***Typically it disrupts them to move them.
***young inexperienced pair, its best to let them spawn 3 of 4 times before trying to raise them
Are the eggs fertilized after laying or before?
***external fertilization, after they are layed.
***they are orange when layed and turn white if unfertilized

***You will need to culture Rotifers to feed for them for the first 2 weeks. Brine shrimp is a poor first food for clownfish and most breeders don't use them due to poor results.
[/QUOTE]

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back