Low Alk but all else is well

Hillerd86

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2020
Messages
175
Reaction score
185
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone. I know I'm opening a giant can of worms here but here it goes

I have a 20gal AIO that has been running for about 2 years. Have it loaded with all types of coral ranging from zoas to a few very small acros. Mostly LPS like acans though.

I slacked testing for a while but mostly everything is solid except my alk. Verified using different brands as well

Params
Nitrate: 16ppm
Calcium: 420
Alk: 5.6-5.8
Ph: 8ish
Temp: 77F

Weird thing is my alk tested daily for the whole week goes from 5.8 down to 5.6 or so. So it's pretty solid. My salt mix (live aquaria) is around 8-8.5.

So it seems like if I boosted my alk and just did regular water changes it would hold. What's the best or easiest way to boost alk without having a doser?

Pretty much do a 2.5 gallon water change weekly.
 
Some tank photos as a thanks
IMG_20210825_152430_643.jpg
PXL_20210825_191136150.jpg
 
I would not change anything, the corals look fine! Double check your test kit with a different kit. Check it another week a see if it drops lower. If so you might need to dose a little. I've seen full blown out reef tanks running 6 dkh with no issues and thriving coral.
 
I would not change anything, the corals look fine! Double check your test kit with a different kit. Check it another week a see if it drops lower. If so you might need to dose a little. I've seen full blown out reef tanks running 6 dkh with no issues and thriving coral.
Good point

Edit: saw he verified with more then one brand
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new