Low Alkalinity HELP!

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Reefers,

so i just tested my alk in my 15g Waterbox peninsula for the first time. The tank is about 2 months old and it came out to 5.8 Dkh which is really really low. i am using the tropic marin pro reef salt which should have an alk of 7-8...does anyone know why my alk is so low ? I just added some chemi pure blue to the tank but i never tested the water before i added the nano packets in the tank... can chemi pure blue lower the alk ? or is it because the salt has a relatively low alk ? any suggestions ? i really dont want to dose in this small of a tank. I have my first zoas coming in the mail on Wednesday so i have to figure this out quick!! I would love some of your input. Thanks !
Happy Reefing !

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, don't panic. On a brand new tank, I'm guessing there aren't any corals that need high alk anyway, right?

I'd mix up some salt and test the fresh saltwater. See what the alk is at. You might have to shake up your salt mix, sometimes things settle out.

Dosing alk as a 2 part will help bring it up. You're not really that low...many people run at 7dkh. I run between 8-9dkh for a mixed reef.

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh it doesn’t sound like you have any corals consuming alk and I doubt chemipure has anything to do with it. I use the same salt and it’s supposed to mix at 7. Have you tried testing a fresh batch of your salt water?

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Huh it doesn’t sound like you have any corals consuming alk and I doubt chemipure has anything to do with it. I use the same salt and it’s supposed to mix at 7. Have you tried testing a fresh batch of your salt water?
i will have to do a water change and test the fresh salt water before adding it in.. my tank is completely empty with only a pair of storm clowns...5.8 is extremely low and i been doing preety much weekly water changes..extremely wierd..al my other levels are perfect... i am screwed these zoas are coming soon =(

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First of all, don't panic. On a brand new tank, I'm guessing there aren't any corals that need high alk anyway, right?

I'd mix up some salt and test the fresh saltwater. See what the alk is at. You might have to shake up your salt mix, sometimes things settle out.

Dosing alk as a 2 part will help bring it up. You're not really that low...many people run at 7dkh. I run between 8-9dkh for a mixed reef.
i have my first zoas coming on wednesday my tank is empty right now with only storm clowns.. i will do a water change before that and test the fresh salt water.. i hope i dont loose these frags... why could the alk be so low i have been doing water changes weekly...very strange =(

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will have to do a water change and test the fresh salt water before adding it in.. my tank is completely empty with only a pair of storm clowns...5.8 is extremely low and i been doing preety much weekly water changes..extremely wierd..al my other levels are perfect... i am screwed these zoas are coming soon =(
I wouldn’t stress it with the zoas. There pretty hardy and I think will do find. If your that worried you may be able to get your lfs or if you have a buddy that has a reef hold on to them until your ready.

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If your doing weekly large water changes, then I'm guessing your testing is in error. What test kit are you using?

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have my first zoas coming on wednesday my tank is empty right now with only storm clowns.. i will do a water change before that and test the fresh salt water.. i hope i dont loose these frags... why could the alk be so low i have been doing water changes weekly...very strange =(
You should definitely test your fresh salt water.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Reefers,

so i just tested my alk in my 15g Waterbox peninsula for the first time. The tank is about 2 months old and it came out to 5.8 Dkh which is really really low. i am using the tropic marin pro reef salt which should have an alk of 7-8...does anyone know why my alk is so low ? I just added some chemi pure blue to the tank but i never tested the water before i added the nano packets in the tank... can chemi pure blue lower the alk ? or is it because the salt has a relatively low alk ? any suggestions ? i really dont want to dose in this small of a tank. I have my first zoas coming in the mail on Wednesday so i have to figure this out quick!! I would love some of your input. Thanks !
Happy Reefing !

What salinity do you mix your salt too. Tropic Marin salts usually have extremely low alk compared to other salts and if you mixed below 1.026, then 5.8 sounds reasonable.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tanks can consume alk in weird ways, some bacteria can consume some, any calcareous algae or inverts that grow shells will consume some, and some could’ve also precipitated out. I wouldn’t panic about your zoas, just do a water change, and test, and then increase the alk of need be. Then just test daily for a while to see how much you’re actually using. Zoas aren’t a stony coral, while 5.8 isn’t ideal for them, it’s probably not going to hurt them, if you don’t have any stony corals, your alk, calcium, and even PH isn’t that important (ideally you want them all to be in range, but soft corals are way more forgiving). Seriously, there is no need to panic.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tanks can consume alk in weird ways, some bacteria can consume some, any calcareous algae or inverts that grow shells will consume some, and some could’ve also precipitated out. I wouldn’t panic about your zoas, just do a water change, and test, and then increase the alk of need be. Then just test daily for a while to see how much you’re actually using. Zoas aren’t a stony coral, while 5.8 isn’t ideal for them, it’s probably not going to hurt them, if you don’t have any stony corals, your alk, calcium, and even PH isn’t that important (ideally you want them all to be in range, but soft corals are way more forgiving). Seriously, there is no need to panic.

+1 on don't panic

Ricksreeefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salinity do you mix your salt too. Tropic Marin salts usually have extremely low alk compared to other salts and if you mixed below 1.026, then 5.8 sounds reasonable.
I mix at 1.024 and I have an alk of 7.2. Well that was before I started dosing.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your doing weekly large water changes, then I'm guessing your testing is in error. What test kit are you using?
I’m using Hanna alk test which is very weird I didn’t make any mistakes. I must have gotten a bad batch of tropic Marin all my other levels are perfect

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity is 1.026. I’m doing a water change today and I will update you guys on what the alk is in the fresh salt water

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Reefers,

Happy Reefing !

Deep breath, your alk of 5.8 won't be harmful. There are acro tanks running in that range just fine ;)

The tank is young and alk does funky things in the beginning. The bacteria colonies are still being established and such, algae, coralline and so on.

You may want to switch to a salt with slightly higher alk so you replenish a bit more through water changes.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Deep breath, your alk of 5.8 won't be harmful. There are acro tanks running in that range just fine ;)

The tank is young and alk does funky things in the beginning. The bacteria colonies are still being established and such, algae, coralline and so on.

You may want to switch to a salt with slightly higher alk so you replenish a bit more through water changes.
Well I just tested my freshly mixed saltwater and the alk is 5.7 which makes total sense. It’s clearly a bad mix of tropic Marin. I mixed the salt before using it and everything. I can’t believe this. Idk what to do now I’m screwed.

OP
OP
Polyp Punk

Polyp Punk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do t understand how 5.8 is reasonable for a saltwater tank. They say it mixes between 7-8. I just tested A fresh mix at 1.026 and it’s 5.7 that can’t be normal I must have got a defected batch

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do t understand how 5.8 is reasonable for a saltwater tank. They say it mixes between 7-8. I just tested A fresh mix at 1.026 and it’s 5.7 that can’t be normal I must have got a defected batch

Again, I would suspect the testing. I would take a sample to your local fish store to confirm your testing.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 71 53.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 68 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 34 25.4%
  • None.

Votes: 30 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back