Low alkalinity!

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank has been set up for about 8 months, ever since it was set-up alkalinity has always been lowish, but now its getting to the point where I'm getting seriously worried, even though everything else is very stable. It is a 25 gallon/100 Liter system. I'm surprised, since all of my coral have been growing decently, and new corals don't seen to show any signs of stress.

Parameters:
Alkalinity: 4.8 dkh (It was 6-ish a few months ago)
Calcium: 450 ppm (Has always been stable)
Magnesium: 1350 ppm (Has always been stable)
pH: 8.15 (Has always been stable, which confuses me, since low alkalinity should result in unstable pH, right?)
Temperature: 26.5 °C/ 80°F
Salinity: 1.025 SG
Nitrate: 1 ppm (I have been fighting a hair algae issue lately, that's why it's so low)
Phosphate: 0.03 ppm (I have been fighting a hair algae issue lately, that's why it's so low)
Ammonia and nitrites: 0 ppm

Stocking:
2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Bicolor Blenny
1 Orchid Dottyback
4 Hermits and 4 Trochus snails
2 Peppermint Shrimp
1 Emerald Crab
----------------------------------------
1 Colony of candy-cane coral
1 Frag of Candy-Cane coral
1 Frag of Duncan Coral
1 Small Colony of Pavona Cactus
1 Frag of Torch coral
A few colonies of zoanthus

OP
OP
BitFix

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to dose alkalinity. The expected calcium decline is too small to readily observe.
Is it normal for calcium and alkalinity to drop at such different rates? I tried dosing alkalinity, but it would spike then slowly lower again, so I thought low but consistent was better. Do you think it would be a better idea to continue dosing even though the corals are thriving, or at least growing and looking well?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it normal for calcium and alkalinity to drop at such different rates? I tried dosing alkalinity, but it would spike then slowly lower again, so I thought low but consistent was better. Do you think it would be a better idea to continue dosing even though the corals are thriving, or at least growing and looking well?

Around 7 dkh is where you should be as a starting point. Corals can adapt to low alkalinity, but around 7 is better.

How often do you do water changes and what salt brand do you use?

Weekly water changes with a salt that has a dkh of 8 ish should help keep it up, but amount of coral and their growth can deplete it quickly.

Making alkalinity solution is easy and can be done with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).

OP
OP
BitFix

BitFix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Around 7 dkh is where you should be as a starting point. Corals can adapt to low alkalinity, but around 7 is better.

How often do you do water changes and what salt brand do you use?

Weekly water changes with a salt that has a dkh of 8 ish should help keep it up, but amount of coral and their growth can deplete it quickly.

Making alkalinity solution is easy and can be done with sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).
I use IO Reef Crystals, I usually do 15% weekly, but honestly I've been slaking recently. I will try to do them more often and dose Baking Soda.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

yes. Expected drop from calcification is 2.8 dKH for each 18-20 ppm calcium. That could fit your scenario given relative uncertainty of calcium kits. Alk can also drop as nitrate rises.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 98 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back