Low cost sump ideas for 300 gallon DT

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody have any suggestions for a relatively cheap sump for a 300 gallon display tank? Was thinking a 75 gallon long 72"x18"x13". That is what is recommended by glasscages where I got the tank and stand. I don't care what it looks like inside the stand so I didn't think it was Necessary to spend big money when a Rubbermaid will get the job done. Has anybody done anything creative?

hijinks7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are patient.. set a search term on craigslist and monitor facebook marketplace for a cheap 75+ gallon. I see them 1-2 times a month where I live for $50ish since they look in bad shape. All you need is one that holds water. You don't care if it has scratches or dirty.

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that you can watch for a good deal on used tanks. I ran tanks for years with Rubbermaid totes though. The only drawback to that is that is would be pretty hard to make partitions. I never had partitions, but just used the totes to house the skimmers, calcium reactors, heaters, etc.

S-t-r-e-t-c-h

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that you can watch for a good deal on used tanks. I ran tanks for years with Rubbermaid totes though. The only drawback to that is that is would be pretty hard to make partitions. I never had partitions, but just used the totes to house the skimmers, calcium reactors, heaters, etc.

You can create partitions in tubs with rubbermaid containers, buckets or brute cans to get the same effect. At least, I plan to... :)

H@rry

Troll
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the easiest way to create a compartment in a tote is to use a plastic bucket with holes drilled. I've heard of that but never tried it.

JacklePappy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My sump is a white plastic, agricultural water tank with the top cut out. Baffles are what looks like pieces of plastic landscape edging. The holder for the bio balls is a 10" ID PVC tube. I didn't build it, so can't provide links or precise product information.

20171220_162922.jpg
20171220_162840.jpg

eric.battani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump ideas are plentiful. I have a old marineland sump from the old mars systems in my greenhouse that I use for aquaponics. Keep your eyes peeled on Craigslist. I have even seen really nice cattle stock tanks that fit your description. Or If a tank with the right "footprint" comes along, but is too tall, you can cut it down with a tile saw blade on a skill saw. I've done this a few times with great success but you need a couple people and lots of tape to minimize chips and to help hold it together while turning, then use a heat gun to remove the top brace so you can reattach it.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestions. I had been weighing my options and wasn't seeing much locally that would really maximize my sump size. I decided to give glass cages a call and see what I could do about getting the sump size intended for my tank.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way they suggested to go a little bigger and get the 100 gallon capacity for a couple dollars more. Going with the glass instead of acrylic actually brought the price down some. I live within a 2hour drive of their factory so I am going to go pick it up next month.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like doing business with them, they are very easy to work with. If you give them a call you will likely get the owner on the phone to quote you a price.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought my 300 gallon peninsula from glass cages, really happy with it. I picked it up myself and got a tour of their factory from the owner. Really good people. I tried to save a buck and tried to use 2 smaller sumps that I already had from previous tanks. That was a mistake...spent a lot of time and money on plumbing and killed a few green chromis in the process. From my experience I would have them build you the whole setup; tank, stand, and sump all together. I wish that is what I had done. In hindsight I would have saved money.

eric.battani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I already have an acrylic sump that is perfect for the size tank I want built or I would get them to build me one. I know lots of people who have had great experience with them.

OP
OP
headdr

headdr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now that I have a new sump on the way I have 2 extra. I have a trigger systems crystal sump 36 that I bought a year ago and only had running for a few months and a glass 30 gallon oceanic system. Is there a market for used sumps?

eric.battani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this area yes. But sometimes you have to sit on them for a month or more. But it's after Christmas, and people are starting to think about spending money on their tanks again so now would be a good time to list them up! But that's just my $0.02. If not now than definitely next month since tax return should start coming in soon

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 30.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 26.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 16 20.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back