Low iron? Reg glass??

Nicksvenom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all! So here’s the dilemma.. I know Low iron glass is clearer etc but is reg glass affecting the coral colors that bad!? Reason why I ask is bc I’m making the move to a larger tank, a 75 that I got for like 50$ brand new but it’s also a regular Petco aquarium. When I leak tested it, that’s when it hit me.. and I noticed the green tint I’ve read about. I threw in some yellow, blue and red cones I use for coaching soccer and didn’t really see a diff but that’s also plasctoc colors and under a flashlight. If anyone on here has a non low iron 75, I’d appreciate your thoughts etc..Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone for the help!

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had low iron and regular float glass tanks and personally find the difference to be quite underwhelming. Sure, if you look down through the edge, or at a stack of glass, it’s obvious. Less so when looking through even 3/4”.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
low iron is not worth it to me. i’ve seen side by side comparisons and i used to build glass tanks. however, there are different types of standard and low iron glass. the differences may vary based on glass manufacturer.

GoldeneyeRet

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a new tank and went with regular glass, even though the price difference was relatively insignificant. I just couldn't see enough difference in half inch glass to justify even a slight upcharge.

OP
OP
N

Nicksvenom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right on I see! Okay so then in reality it all comes down to the glass used in the “pet shop” tanks. The one I got Makes the water pretty dang green!! lol hence why I posted, I currently have a 22L aquamaxx but want to upgrade. I can see the difference in the water but that’s it. any thoughts on Petco vs petsmart vs marineland tanks??

Last edited:

alton

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to do your homework and compare tanks. My Planet Aquarium 180 glass is not low iron but pretty clear versus others that I have seen and noticed having a definite green tint. Also there are different manufactures of low iron glass, some that scratch very easy and my 15 year old PPG Starphire low iron tank which holds up very well to scratches. Where I noticed the difference between low iron and regular was taking pictures with a quality camera.

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You will have to do your homework and compare tanks. My Planet Aquarium 180 glass is not low iron but pretty clear versus others that I have seen and noticed having a definite green tint. Also there are different manufactures of low iron glass, some that scratch very easy and my 15 year old PPG Starphire low iron tank which holds up very well to scratches. Where I noticed the difference between low iron and regular was taking pictures with a quality camera.

As above, low Iron all the way for me, I take lots of pictures and I can see the difference.
My previous tank was also low Iron, neither have a single scratch!

OP
OP
N

Nicksvenom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Homework sucks!! lol but I appreciate the insight from all. I guess I’m going to try a marineland 75 and see how green it looks with just water. Otherwise any ideas where I can get a decent priced food quality custom 48x18x16? Low iron at that point of course.

TherealplexiG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Low iron matters when going 3/4 thick. Beyond that doesn't matter. Side by side comparison would make you feel want it. But IMHO doesn't matter. A good reef tank is a good reef tank, glass dont matter. Been professionally building glass aquaria since a decade, not based in USA tho.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you never had low iron glass tanks before then it'll probably take seeing them side by side for you to notice. The difference is even less when you fill it up. Neither can beat acrylic (when new) in clarity though.

OP
OP
N

Nicksvenom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, it seems the general consensus is that although low iron glass is superior In Clarity, it won’t really affect the look of the reef and color in a drastic way. I guess what I need to do is find a regular glass aquarium that isn’t “super green” and use the money I saved for car insurance lol kidding. Ultimately I want the IM SR-80 but it’s also 1k!! Anyway, again, thank you all for the insight and if there’s other places for a custom tank place.. so let me know.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only major difference is the seam and finish quality between the current Aquamaxx tank you have and the Marineland / Aquaeon tanks you are looking at. The silicone seams on the Aquamaxx are really great. The Marineland / Aquaeon tanks look like a child cut and assembled the tank after and intro to finger painting class. Even the panel fitness is not good on the Marineland / Aquaeon tanks and they depend on the plastic frame to hold it all together while they assemble the tanks. Not a precision assemble at all but very functional. I honestly consider the Marineland / Aquaeon tanks to be very poor quality and they leak from the manufacturer often enough I would never sell them if I had a store. That and who wants to compete with the bottom of the barrel in price and quality from the mass merchandiser.

For clarity and strength Acrylic is the best. But for clarity and scratch resistance low iron glass is very good. I think the overall picture of an aquarium and stand is just as important as what we put in them.

Last edited:

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood, it seems the general consensus is that although low iron glass is superior In Clarity, it won’t really affect the look of the reef and color in a drastic way. I guess what I need to do is find a regular glass aquarium that isn’t “super green” and use the money I saved for car insurance lol kidding. Ultimately I want the IM SR-80 but it’s also 1k!! Anyway, again, thank you all for the insight and if there’s other places for a custom tank place.. so let me know.

you need car insurance to drive. you also want sufficient coverages to cover yourself, your assets, your passengers, and others you may hit as well as their property. ;)

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have made tanks with low iron glass in the front and regular glass on the sides.
First: You cannot get a fair comparison with dry tanks and daylight. The difference between the glass kinds is much bigger with reef light and water in the tank.
6 mm hard to see a difference.
8 mm clear difference but if You compare different tanks it doesnt matter much.
10 mm or more easy to see the difference and I would never build a reef tank without low iron glass.
It is very strange that a so small difference in thickness makes such a big visual diffence.

Dsnakes

Knight Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a low iron glass Nuvo and now have a regular glass 125. Man I wish it was low iron. It’s thicker glass so you can tell the difference... but I bought it used and didn’t want to spend 1500 on a low iron tank ;Woot

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back