Low magnesium

Madonia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How will low magnesium chronically affect coral health? What level will the corals start to show stress and how?

Riphter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to maintain 1200+. 1350 is the average. It might not happen over night but there might be consequences. You can buy mag supplements. Mag and calcium are tied together. Low mag might also mean low calcium. Slow growth and withering.

OP
OP
Madonia

Madonia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try to maintain 1200+. 1350 is the average. It might not happen over night but there might be consequences. You can buy mag supplements. Mag and calcium are tied together. Low mag might also mean low calcium. Slow growth and withering.

move noticed that my corals looks like their peeling from their skeleton bases. One day u came home, 2 torch corals were gone and only their skeleton bases remained. Today, I notice my elegance and micromussa look like their peeling away from skeletons

Riphter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like it might have been low for some time. Coral need stability. Swings can affect them down the road even after you fix the problem. If you fix it to quickly it can also do harm. Slow and steady. If your mag went down to 1000 and you instantly pumped it up to 1400 or whatever. That’s a big swing. I don’t know the exact circumstances. Could be a nutrient spike or bottom out.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With low MG, Alk and CA come together quicker and precipitation out of water, thus not available for skeleton growth. MG is the magic that makes these two things, not as attractive.
I sure there’s a science way of saying this.
Also, when MG is low, it’s hard to raise the Alk and CA.
Keep MG in the 1260-1350 range.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 7.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back