Low nitrates, high phosphates

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So my corals are doing good but I am not liking that my nitrates keep dropping no matter how much I feed and phosphates are rising. There is no algae besides some brown cyano on the sand but still, there has to be a better way of raising nitrates besides the natural feeding way (have been trying for 3 months now)

Alk is 8
Phosphate is 0.3, yes that is correct (hanna)
Nitrate is under 2 ( Red Sea Pro)

What do you guys suggest?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like neonitro and neophos for dosing nitrate and phosphate in a reef tank. The instructions are pretty clear and it worked well for me when I bottomed out both nitrate and phosphate (I couldn't feed enough to keep up wiht my tank's demand for the two). If you have a skimmer or refugium, you can cut those back.

OP
OP
CoralWealth

CoralWealth

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I like neonitro and neophos for dosing nitrate and phosphate in a reef tank. The instructions are pretty clear and it worked well for me when I bottomed out both nitrate and phosphate (I couldn't feed enough to keep up wiht my tank's demand for the two). If you have a skimmer or refugium, you can cut those back.

Wouldnt cutting back the skimmer mess with phosphates too?

I think I just need to raise my nitrates and that will actually helped reduce my phosphates.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think I just need to raise my nitrates and that will actually helped reduce my phosphates.

I was thinking after you adjust them so you don't have to keep dosing nitrate and phosphate

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I have read other member mentioned this as phosphate will drop once nitrates rise. I am having the similar issue. My phosphate is at around .29 and nitrate is almost undetectable. I ordered neonitro but hasn’t receive it yet. I did cut off my skimmer since two weeks ago and bumped up feeding but still same issue.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 71 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 56 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 23 14.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back