Low nitrates, is my refugium just draining the tank?

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having a small ball of Cheato in a fuge really does no harm at this point. It'll bind a little bit of nutrients but not a lot until there are enough to make it grow more rapidly... It is kind of self regulating in that respect.

The processing of organic input and the subsequent organic and inorganic nutrients is complicated, interconnected, and ever changing. When a tank is young, more help is needed to manage these inputs. The Cheato can provide that help.

There's some decent information in the article linked in my signature that talks about how these nutrients are used in interrelated processes.
I know, I get this. I’ve read into it quite a bit. My experience is that it drastically slows the systems ability to balance on its own, without bio load or additives. Opinion, not fact but I don’t claim it as fact. Many people claim facts and others buy into it as they believe the facts as they are construed.

OP
OP
October Sky

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two fish is still not a lot for a 40. The little bit of Cheato in your sump is probably not limiting the N & P very much. It's great that it is growing some but there it is just not a lot of it. Looks like you have some Coralline growing. That's a good sign. You have a reasonable amount of rock in the display and sump, and have a good skimmer that is running pretty wet. Those are the reason for the low nutrient levels. That's great for now. Your Cheato will grow more as more organic input from feeding more fish results in more nutrients to being introduced than the rock can control.

You could adjust the skimmer to run a little drier, but otherwise I would still not change anything until you add more fish and start to see nutrients rising to much.
The skimmer is a bit of an optical illusion in this photo. It's actually running pretty dry. You can see the actual wet skimmate on the bottom of the cup. Above that is just old skimmate I didn't clean off, and above that is the new skimmate (the white bubbles).

Although I may be misusing the wet/dry terminology.

OP
OP
October Sky

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never really understood adding nitrate and phosphate, or branded chaeto grow stuff, into a new tank with zero bio load. Especially for novices! Animals and food is so much easier. Algae is going to algae. Let it do its thing and have fish or critters go after it and get fat! Another opinion…. Do not fall for the 1000 count clean up crew. Most will die and spike your nutrients making more algae. A few good men will do the job. Trochus, tuxedos and fish are great. Crabs, meh. Cool to watch

On the 1000 count clean up crew, learned that the hard way on the last tank.

I think I have 1 tiger conch, who has absolutely knocked out my diatoms (it was brown last night), a few (4 or 5) bumble bee snails, a handful of ceriths, nassarius and two giant Turbo snails. Probably 20 or so inverts.

I don't like hermits because they caused me nothing but headaches in my last tank. But if they become necessary, I'll get them.

OP
OP
October Sky

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the "add fish" front, I have two LFS near me. One gave me ich in my old tank, but is 10 minutes away. The other is 50 minutes away, but I trust them completely. Luckily, I just found out I'm heading that way to help my parents tomorrow morning, so new fish incoming.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea I waited till about 8 months to add chaeto to my fuge but I did have to dose neophos and neonitro for couple months early on to keep things in balance while tank was fallow. Once I got a good bioload of fish things took over on their own.
So I’ve been in this a long time. When I moved into a new house and subsequently a new tank, I fell for the BRS videos and fuge hype on the forums. It does make sense, I get it. But like you, I was adding phosphate and nitrate just so I could grow algae. There’s no problem with that if that what you want to do. It’s just more work than one might realize and in the end, meh. Not for me. Easier to wait a bit, or add fish. If balancing your ph is the goal you’ll need a lot of chaeto, a lot of nutrients, and a lot of light, but most don’t worry abiut this until after they have coral

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the 1000 count clean up crew, learned that the hard way on the last tank.

I think I have 1 tiger conch, who has absolutely knocked out my diatoms (it was brown last night), a few (4 or 5) bumble bee snails, a handful of ceriths, nassarius and two giant Turbo snails. Probably 20 or so inverts.

I don't like hermits because they caused me nothing but headaches in my last tank. But if they become necessary, I'll get them.
Hermits, though cool little buggers, will…. Again here with my opinions…. Will eat the ceriths and probably the nassarius after awhile. I’ve tried the quote have plenty of extra empty shells routine, but that didn’t stop the inevitable.

OP
OP
October Sky

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hermits, though cool little buggers, will…. Again here with my opinions…. Will eat the ceriths and probably the nassarius after awhile. I’ve tried the quote have plenty of extra empty shells routine, but that didn’t stop the inevitable.
It may be your opinion, but its also my experience, hence no hermits. I had an army of empty shells for them, I think they kill for food/sport.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the "add fish" front, I have two LFS near me. One gave me ich in my old tank, but is 10 minutes away. The other is 50 minutes away, but I trust them completely. Luckily, I just found out I'm heading that way to help my parents tomorrow morning, so new fish incoming.
Check out https://drreefsquarantinedfish.com/ - I seldom buy fish local anymore.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The skimmer is a bit of an optical illusion in this photo. It's actually running pretty dry. You can see the actual wet skimmate on the bottom of the cup. Above that is just old skimmate I didn't clean off, and above that is the new skimmate (the white bubbles).

Although I may be misusing the wet/dry terminology.
Nope. Exactly right... Lots of foam, little water - Dry... Little foam, lots of water - Wet. There is also wet and dry foam which resides between absolutely dry and absolutely wet.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be your opinion, but its also my experience, hence no hermits. I had an army of empty shells for them, I think they kill for food/sport.
Haha, bloodsport for sure. I just like to clarify opinion as so many on this forum claim fact for everything and people take it as gospel, especially if they have a bunch of tags under thier name. If not a pro, I don’t claim to be, I’m just a reefer

OP
OP
October Sky

October Sky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. Exactly right... Lots of foam, little water - Dry... Little foam, lots of water - Wet. There is also wet and dry foam which resides between absolutely dry and absolutely wet.
Okay, good. I actually adjusted it to be drier when I had the first nitrate drop. I cannot explain the second one, but will be increasing my bioload ASAP.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’ve been in this a long time. When I moved into a new house and subsequently a new tank, I fell for the BRS videos and fuge hype on the forums. It does make sense, I get it. But like you, I was adding phosphate and nitrate just so I could grow algae. There’s no problem with that if that what you want to do. It’s just more work than one might realize and in the end, meh. Not for me. Easier to wait a bit, or add fish. If balancing your ph is the goal you’ll need a lot of chaeto, a lot of nutrients, and a lot of light, but most don’t worry abiut this until after they have coral
I actually did follow the philosophy of let the tank do its thing. I avoided harsh chemicals all together. The neophos and neonitro dosing was during 2 month fallow period with no bioload. I went through a relatively easy ugly stage with some months of a GHA jungle but even that was managed with a good cleaner crew. Now at 14 months everything is much more stable and predictable. I use my fuge primarily for PH balance and some export of course. Corals and fish are thriving and i try to stay as natural as possible in my approach to upkeep.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I question the theory that light output impacts nutrient uptake by algae based on reading "Ecology of the Planted Aquarium" by Dana Walstad. Recall her saying that plants consume nutrients 24/7. Photosynthesis where energy is converted of those nutrients pulled 24/7.

Been a while since reading it so my memory could be wrong.

At some level, increased lighting certainly boosts uptake (imagine starting in a nearly dark room) and at some point, too much light is bad (imagine the surface of the sun). At some point in between, there will be a maximum of growth and uptake of N and P. :)

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At some level, increased lighting certainly boosts uptake (imagine starting in a nearly dark room) and at some point, too much light is bad (imagine the surface of the sun). At some point in between, there will be a maximum of growth and uptake of N and P. :)
Agreed. Just saying uptake is 24/7 to some degree. Often see it mentioned as if only when lights on.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed. Just saying uptake is 24/7 to some degree. Often see it mentioned as if only when lights on.

OK, sorry if I misunderstood. I don't know the times of primary uptake.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 124 59.0%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 62 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 75 35.7%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 36 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 62 29.5%
Back