Low p04 readings. Are we just chasing numbers?

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suggest that the levels of nutrients (phosphate and nitrate), relative to each other, are more important than keeping either one at at a specific target level (up to a point, of course). As each tank is inherently different, one person's ratio may be somewhat different to anothers and the reef keeper must find what works best for his/her own system.

This is a great read and looks at this subject on wild reefs, but much is applicable to corals in a captive environment: Impacts of nutrient enrichment on coral reefs: new perspectives and implications for coastal management and reef survival.

I like this excerpt since it illuminates the fact that nitrogen and phosphate limitations can be different for various reef locations, as well as seasonal.

'Defining nutrient concentrations or nutrient ratios that represent thresholds for the different direct and indirect nutrient effects on coral reefs and to introduce optimised target values that promote reef resilience are important tasks for nutrient biology research. When assessing the impact of nutrient enrichment on coral physiology in the field, it should be considered that some effects could be subtle and might become detectable only after longterm exposure or under distinct circumstances, for example, during periods of stress. Importantly, many effects may vary locally depending on the regional reef water biogeochemistry. In the Great Barrier Reef, for instance, many processes are nitrogen-limited [69], whereas phosphorus availability seems to be limiting in other sites such as Discovery Bay, Jamaica [52]. The data reported by Lugomela et al. [ 83] suggest that in yet another case, the East African waters, nutrient limitation might switch seasonally between nitrogen and phosphorus. Accordingly, the effects of nutrients on different coral reef ecosystems may vary significantly and need to be assessed individually.'

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently after changing my gfo for the millionth time I started wondering why I was spending so much money on gfo ?

I have always been a little lazy with my p04 levels and have had them creep up to around .1 for extended periods of time and guess what? My sps didn't brown out. My growth didn't slow down and there were no nuisance alage outbreaks

I started doing some reading and ran across an article that discusses this theory exactly
Reefs Magazine - Skeptical Reefkeeping IX: Test Kits, Chasing Numbers and Phosphate

Who came up with the magic .04 number to keep your reef at? Was this another marketing gimmick to make us spend money on gfo? I know of several people who never even test their po4 levels and have healthy beautiful reef tanks

So what are your thoughts on p04 readings. Should we really waste all the time and energy to get them so low ?
And all threads need pics
Here is one of my tank in its prime

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393520396.580650.jpg

All i can say is WOW at your beautiful tank of yours. Whatever you are doing stay at that.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals actually stop growing or have slow growth if I use gfo, even in small amounts. I quit using it a long time ago and even took my chaeto out about a month ago as an experiment. I haven't noticed any difference in sps growth with or without chaeto. I always get 0.00 on a Hanna checker so I don't bother testing anymore or doing anything to lower phosphates. I have 1 watt LEDs, a big skimmer and change water about once a month.

Last edited:

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my corals actually stop growing or have slow growth if i use gfo, even in small amounts. I quit using it a long time ago and even took my chaeto out about a month ago as an experiment. I haven't noticed any difference in sps growth with or without chaeto. I always get 0.00 on a hanna checker so i don't bother testing anymore or doing anything to lower phosphates. I have 1 watt leds, a big skimmer and change water about once a month.

5a2yza4e.jpg

wet!!

OP
OP
turbo21

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All i can say is WOW at your beautiful tank of yours. Whatever you are doing stay at that.

Unfourtanetly I had a tank crash shortly after I took that photo
Crash was caused by using flatworm exit (bad batch IMO)

But I have started restocking and upgraded my lights so I can catch up to where I was. More recent pic
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1393769325.436030.jpg

OP
OP
turbo21

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My corals actually stop growing or have slow growth if I use gfo, even in small amounts. I quit using it a long time ago and even took my chaeto out about a month ago as an experiment. I haven't noticed any difference in sps growth with or without chaeto. I always get 0.00 on a Hanna checker so I don't bother testing anymore or doing anything to lower phosphates. I have 1 watt LEDs, a big skimmer and change water about once a month.

Looking good bud!! Keep up the doing nothing. Lol

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank still looks nice. So would it have been a better idea to just keep flat worms in the tank or take them out as you see them?

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank still looks nice. So would it have been a better idea to just keep flat worms in the tank or take them out as you see them?

Or buy a wrasse that likes to eat them. I won't run a tank without a melanarus wrasse any more.

OP
OP
turbo21

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tested my numbers with the Hanna checker last night
2 test

Looks good to me

ryecoon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats a good brand for a hanna checker ? im thinkin of getting one.

OP
OP
turbo21

turbo21

Fenchies and Fish Oh My
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the hanna HI713 URL checker

Much more easy to use than the guess the color kits

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back