Low pH & Alkalinity in Sterile Nano Tanks (Basement Setup)

Hello. Update to the PH situation.
I got my air monitor and conducted a test by shutting windows and doors and working in the room for 2 hours. CO2 levels rose to 1500 , it’s estimated that overnight it could reach levels of 5000+. I now leave the door open and window cracked at all times.

CO2 levels now range from 450 - 800 max.

Both tanks PH rose immediately and have steadied at 7.9 and 8.0.

I also have figured out the tropic Marin pro reef salt mixes to a DKH of 7.2 - something.

Long story short I used baking soda + RODI mix to experimentally raise my QT tank DKH. it’s PH is stable at 8.

I’m going to add a CO2 scrubber im the future when I buy a skimmer.

My first clownfish arrive this Thursday and are going to live in the QT for observation. Buying from dr. Reef.
Wow that’s crazy! Shows your instincts were correct.
Is it a new house with hyper efficient energy saving seals or something?
It’s a large older house. The room is in a large walkout basement. Apparently the venting inside the room itself is poor.
 
It’s a large older house. The room is in a large walkout basement. Apparently the venting inside the room itself is poor.
Guessing it’s just the basement positioning as you said originally.
I’m really wondering about my past tanks now in less ventilated rooms 🤣

Ps when you start with that Ca demand definitely try Kalk.
 
It’s a large older house. The room is in a large walkout basement. Apparently the venting inside the room itself is poor.
Guessing it’s just the basement positioning as you said originally.
I’m really wondering about my past tanks now in less ventilated rooms 🤣
Yes , it made a huge .04 difference in PH almost immediately within both tanks that are separated within the room.

It’s interesting because the tank I dosed with baking soda to correct DKH is sitting at a .01 higher PH of 8 compared to my unadjusted tropic Marin pro reef salt tank which is at 7.9.

I imagine this is DKH’s PH buffering capacity at work. I believe the chemistry is pretty simple and will work to understand it more as time moves on.
 
Yes , it made a huge .04 difference in PH almost immediately within both tanks that are separated within the room.

It’s interesting because the tank I dosed with baking soda to correct DKH is sitting at a .01 higher PH of 8 compared to my unadjusted tropic Marin pro reef salt tank which is at 7.9.

I imagine this is DKH’s PH buffering capacity at work. I believe the chemistry is pretty simple and will work to understand it more as time moves on.
I have a similar situation to you in that I have a cycled but empty (apart from rock (live and dry) and filter material, no lighting. It’s sat at 8.13 ph max around noon 8.06 min ant night and no matter what really does to it it reverts to that level, that’s full ventilation, everything open.
 
Here’s my full update after another round of testing and watching how the system behaves as a whole.

From the beginning, my focus has been finding a simple, reliable way to maintain stable parameters without adding unnecessary complexity. After months of consistent testing, it’s now clear that the low alkalinity I keep seeing is simply the natural baseline produced by Tropic Marin Pro Reef. Even when I elevated alkalinity in QT with baking soda, just a few small water changes pulled everything right back to TMP’s default levels.

The picture becomes even clearer when looking at my last calcium and magnesium tests from 10/5, which came back at:
• Calcium: 477
• Magnesium: 1285

Both are somewhat low, which is completely consistent with TMP’s typical profile.

At this point, the path forward makes sense:
• Correct alkalinity as needed
• Adjust each batch of new saltwater before doing water changes
• Maintain stability with a single additive

Space is a major factor for me, so the most efficient long-term approach is a single doser running Tropic Marin All-For-Reef. Even without corals yet, the data shows TMP mixes slightly low in alk, calcium, and magnesium. Its impeccable cleanliness and storage stability are major advantages, and the lower baseline simply gives me a clean starting point to tune the tank exactly where I want it.

Below are my pre–water change test results, taken before a 65 percent water change and before introducing the clowns to the display:

Pre-water-change readings:
• pH: 7.9
• Salinity: 1.024
• Nitrite: 0
• Nitrate: 20
• Ammonia: 0
• Phosphate: 0.04
• DKH: 5.7

These results make complete sense after not doing many water changes while the clowns were in QT. Everything remains stable except alkalinity, which reflects how TMP Pro Reef mixes.

My plan moving forward:
I will raise Alk in my tank and all fresh salt mixes.
I’ll start dosing All-For-Reef in small, incremental amounts to maintain alkalinity at the optimal level before adding corals. My only goal right now is establishing a reliable baseline that matches where I want the tank to sit long-term. Once coral uptake begins, I’ll adjust dosing accordingly based on actual consumption. This keeps the system simple, stable, and aligned perfectly with my goal of avoiding unnecessary complexity.

Final conclusion:

The low pH I was seeing was primarily the result of high CO₂ buildup in the room >5000. with a smaller but noticeable contribution from low alkalinity.
 
Tropic Marin Pro Reef
I dunno if this just came up or I missed it earlier, but this salt is well known for its low alk. You are correct.

At this point, the path forward makes sense:
• Correct alkalinity as needed
• Adjust each batch of new saltwater before doing water changes
• Maintain stability with a single additive
No because why go through that....the salt was made for people who WANT that low alk.

If TM is your preferred brand, the correct move is to switch to Tropic Marin (classic) that will mix to better levels for you....no extra bother should be required.
 
Tropic Marin Pro Reef
I dunno if this just came up or I missed it earlier, but this salt is well known for its low alk. You are correct.

At this point, the path forward makes sense:
• Correct alkalinity as needed
• Adjust each batch of new saltwater before doing water changes
• Maintain stability with a single additive
No because why go through that....the salt was made for people who WANT that low alk.

If TM is your preferred brand, the correct move is to switch to Tropic Marin (classic) that will mix to better levels for you....no extra bother should be required.
Funny you suggest this because this is exactly what I ended up doing. Currently running Tropic Marin classic!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 2 11.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 1 5.9%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new