OP
OP
A

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to put an update here to say that this modification / hack (better word) works like a charm. I am going on a week with the same media in it and it has only started to look blue at the very bottom of the chamber. I think a lot more people would do a CO2 scrubber if they knew about this way of saving the media.
Will try it too.
What were the levels of Ph, pre and post?
Did it have an impact on the Ph boost?

XNavyDiver

Insightful answer loading... please wait.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to put an update here to say that this modification / hack (better word) works like a charm. I am going on a week with the same media in it and it has only started to look blue at the very bottom of the chamber. I think a lot more people would do a CO2 scrubber if they knew about this way of saving the media.
Glad to hear it's working for you. I'm getting close to 3 weeks on a fresh canister.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will try it too.
What were the levels of Ph, pre and post?
Did it have an impact on the Ph boost?

• I was at pH of 7.7 (night)- 7.8 (day) before hooking up the scrubber altogether. My pH never got to 8.0.
  • Without the modification my pH (tsp of water in bottom of reactor like BRS suggests) my pH spiked to almost 8.2 then my media was exhausted in two days. pH was also very erratic.
  • With the modification my pH is MUCH more stable and goes from 8.0 (night) to 8.1 late in the day. I am satisfied with that pH and don't plan to alter anything else.
I have a lot of CO2 in my house with four humans, two dogs, and a cat.

OP
OP
A

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  • I was at pH of 7.7 (night)- 7.8 (day) before hooking up the scrubber altogether. My pH never got to 8.0.
  • Without the modification my pH (tsp of water in bottom of reactor like BRS suggests) my pH spiked to almost 8.2 then my media was exhausted in two days. pH was also very erratic.
  • With the modification my pH is MUCH more stable and goes from 8.0 (night) to 8.1 late in the day. I am satisfied with that pH and don't plan to alter anything else.
I have a lot of CO2 in my house with four humans, two dogs, and a cat.
Got it, much appreciated.
I also have a lot of CO2 from humans around my tank - diagnosed with aeration test.

Haven't been able to raise it above 7.8 even with the scrubber, and also consuming all media in 2 days.

Already in the process of implementing a 2 inch PVC line from outside to sump.

And we'll try this to get more out of the media, now I've been adding 2 tbs of RO every day, and got more use of the media.

Did you plug the line from protein skimmer on the IN or OUT intake of scubber?

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, much appreciated.
I also have a lot of CO2 from humans around my tank - diagnosed with aeration test.

Haven't been able to raise it above 7.8 even with the scrubber, and also consuming all media in 2 days.

Already in the process of implementing a 2 inch PVC line from outside to sump.

And we'll try this to get more out of the media, now I've been adding 2 tbs of RO every day, and got more use of the media.

Did you plug the line from protein skimmer on the IN or OUT intake of scubber?

I plugged my hose into the skimmer lid then that air line goes to the "IN" portion of the scrubber. Then the out portion of the scrubber I plumbed to my protein skimmer pump. But, I think @XNavyDiver ran his differently so it may not matter.

XNavyDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plugged my hose into the skimmer lid then that air line goes to the "IN" portion of the scrubber. Then the out portion of the scrubber I plumbed to my protein skimmer pump. But, I think @XNavyDiver ran his differently so it may not matter.
That's exactly the way I got it hooked up.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the photo that confused me. I could swear it looks like the skimmer lid line was running to the side opposite where it says "IN" on top of the reactor. Glad to hear I was wrong about that.
20170814_182509-jpg.563238

XNavyDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was the photo that confused me. I could swear it looks like the skimmer lid line was running to the side opposite where it says "IN" on top of the reactor. Glad to hear I was wrong about that.
20170814_182509-jpg.563238
You know what.... You are correct. I was wrong. I had to go take a look. Just reverse what I said before. There's too much blood in my caffein stream this time in the morning for me.

Grey Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had the same problem. I do water changes. Stopped using any buffers. Keep the other parameters looking good and just wait and test. I've gone from 300+ ppm down to 182 ppm (15 DKH down to 10 DKH) in about 2 weeks.

OP
OP
A

Andy G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You know what.... You are correct. I was wrong. I had to go take a look. Just reverse what I said before. There's too much blood in my caffein stream this time in the morning for me.
If this is the case, and both schemes work.
I wonder if running the lines as XNaviDiver did will avoid getting skimmer foam into the scrubber.

In my case, when temperature is too high my Skimmer regurgitates bubbles even outside the rim that forces the way down. And I end up having bubbles popping out of the ventilation holes.

What do you think????

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if running the lines as XNaviDiver did will avoid getting skimmer foam into the scrubber.

In my case, when temperature is too high my Skimmer regurgitates bubbles even outside the rim that forces the way down. And I end up having bubbles popping out of the ventilation holes.

What do you think????

Maybe. Although the skimmer foam into the scrubber was because of my own stupid fault and not drilling in the correct place. I had to drill it three times and now my skimmer lid is a patched up mess. But, it works. Also, I found out not to drill acrylic since it cracks (duh). I had better luck with a dremel and an aluminum oxide bit and grinding through it.

XNavyDiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What do you think????
I'm not sure. They way I see it, it doesn't matter which way the "in" or "out" fittings in the reactor are hooked up. The skimmer will always pull the air in one direction. The only difference it will make is which direction the air flow inside the reactor, either top to bottom or bottom to top. The way I have it hooked up, the media starts turning purple from the top and slowly works it's way to the bottom. I would have to think of a solution to that problem your having.

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't chase pH, but just as a general observation I have made on my own systems. When my fuge lights are off, 7.8-7.9. When my Fuge lights are on, 8.2-8.3. Essentially what is happening the best I can tall, is the process of the plants photosynthesizing in my fuge creates enough oxygen in my water to raise the pH to appropriate levels. As I don't keep very heavily stocked tanks there isn't enough photo happening in the DT for the display lights to have enough of an effect. The easiest solution to your problem might be a homemade algae reactor or some kind of Algae turf scrubber. I personally would go that route before running lines into a 150F+ attic depending on where you live, but as with anything your mileage may vary.

mckinney0171

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fuge has chaeto and blue hypnea algae. I run it fifteen hours a day on a reverse cycle. It still never increased my ph due to the co2 in my house. I had to go the route of co2 scrubber and it is working for me pretty well.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my fuge lights are off, 7.8-7.9. When my Fuge lights are on, 8.2-8.3. Essentially what is happening the best I can tall, is the process of the plants photosynthesizing in my fuge creates enough oxygen in my water to raise the pH to appropriate levels.

The algae is consuming CO2. That's what raises the pH. The O2 itself does not impact pH. :)

Amoo

Professional Thread Derailer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The algae is consuming CO2. That's what raises the pH. The O2 itself does not impact pH. :)

Good point Randy, I was merely stating it changed my O2 to CO2 balance enough to change my pH. Either way the overall point stands about appropriately sized fuge/ats/AR and CO2 removal and pH increase.

Ty Hamatake

Hi, my name is Ty and I'm a Reefer...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like you have already gotten the problem taken care of, but here's how I keep the humidity up through my scrubbers. Utilizing the skimmer is smart with no need to refill!

20170717_214046.jpg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point Randy, I was merely stating it changed my O2 to CO2 balance enough to change my pH. Either way the overall point stands about appropriately sized fuge/ats/AR and CO2 removal and pH increase.

I just didn't want people to misunderstand because there are ways to add O2 without reducing CO2, and ways to reduce CO2 without increasing O2. :)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back